1698Re: [baseball-databank] Re: Fwd: RE: Historical Data

  • tmasc@yahoo.com
    Aug 13, 2003
      Kevin,

      I'm in actual shock! I've been brought up by the Bill
      James view that Elias would try to squeeze every
      dollar out of every stat it would give the public, and
      I'm of the view now that STATS has supplanted Elias on
      that front. STATS did recently donate their event
      files for 1991-1992 to Retrosheet, which was pretty
      nice of them (though really anything more than 5 years
      old would be of value only to research analysts).

      MLB.com might be a new animal. I've dealt with the
      NHL in the 80s, and they were EXTREMELY forthcoming
      with all of their detailed plus/minus data (though
      back then it was in paper form). Maybe MLB.com has
      seen the light and doing goodwill might actually be
      good business overall, a good investment.

      Anyway, we'll see how things shake out, though it does
      look somewhat promising.

      Tom

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic