I am trying to post.

  • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 27, 2001
      I am trying to post. My posting abilities seem to be... dying.
    • Bruce Bozarth
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
        xenophile2002@... wrote:

        > I am trying to post. My posting abilities seem to be... dying.

        I received your post. Are you still trying to Yahoo? (tongue in cheek)

        Yahoo, the recently publisized pornography site, does not seem to be a
        realistic ERB venue. ERB fans are invited to join an uncompromised list
        server:

        Send email to erblist@... with the word SUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT
        line

        barsoomer, you did GOOD attempting to start an erb formum at Yahoo, with
        good heart and effort. Unfortunately you have been stabbed in the back
        by money market dot.com ghods desperate to make a buck rather than
        promote Internet fan relations.

        Suggest we all stay linked to barsoomer's yahoo while the company back
        tracks from ugliness unnecessary, but in the meantime ERBList is free of
        company, profit, or other aspects which sully the memory of ERB.

        --

        TANGOR

        Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
        http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
        The Official ERB FAQ is at
        http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
      • Fredrik Ekman
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
          --- In barsoom@y..., Bruce Bozarth <tangor@p...> wrote:
          > Yahoo, the recently publisized pornography site, does not seem to
          be a
          > realistic ERB venue.

          Did I miss something? I knew that Yahoo was Evil and Capitalistic,
          but pornographic?

          And while I am in favour of people joining ERBList, I would also hope
          that Barsoom, at least as an idea, has a certain degree of merit to
          it. What initially attracted me about the group was the very fact
          that it was about Barsoom alone.

          I did an inventory of ERB-related Ebay/Yahoo groups some time ago and
          found one or two that are perhaps about ERB in general. I did not
          bother to join, since they can offer nothing or little that is not
          already covered on ERBList and ERBCOF-L. A Barsoom-only group,
          however, could potentially attract fans who, like myself, are
          primarily interested in the Barsoom series and do not want the high
          volume of those other lists.

          So, while Barsoom has little to speak for it as it stands I would
          still like to see it grow and prosper in the future. Whether Yahoo is
          the "right" or "wrong" platform for it is an interesting discussion,
          but I would not want to see it sucked up into any other list.

          /Fredrik
        • Bruce Bozarth
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
            Fredrik Ekman wrote:
            > Did I miss something? I knew that Yahoo was Evil and Capitalistic,
            > but pornographic?

            Is big news here these last three weeks--and the stock market responded
            by dumping Yahoo stock so quickly that Yahoo hurriedly retracted their
            sales of pornographic and adult material (their "safeguards for minors"
            was such a joke).

            > So, while Barsoom has little to speak for it as it stands I would
            > still like to see it grow and prosper in the future. Whether Yahoo is
            > the "right" or "wrong" platform for it is an interesting discussion,
            > but I would not want to see it sucked up into any other list.

            I sincerely wish all the best to the Barsoom group, I hope that is
            plain. However, like many Americans I'm torn between poking Yahoo in the
            eye for being so dumb and overt to pander to the most base aspects of
            Internet sales and marketing (and voting such unhappiness by a personal
            boycott of their services) and seeing this group expand.

            --

            TANGOR

            Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
            http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
            The Official ERB FAQ is at
            http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
          • Steve Wadding
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
              At 04:49 PM 4/28/01 -0500, Bruce Bozarth wrote:
              >Fredrik Ekman wrote:
              > > Did I miss something? I knew that Yahoo was Evil and Capitalistic,
              > > but pornographic?
              >
              >Is big news here these last three weeks--and the stock market responded
              >by dumping Yahoo stock so quickly that Yahoo hurriedly retracted their
              >sales of pornographic and adult material (their "safeguards for minors"
              >was such a joke).

              Tangor,

              I hadn't heard about this. Is there an article on-line you can refer me to?

              Ghak
            • Steve Wadding
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
                At 07:26 PM 4/28/01 -0400, Steve Wadding wrote:
                >I hadn't heard about this. Is there an article on-line you can refer me to?

                Never mind. Found one at:
                <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20010415/aponline133117_000.htm>

                Ghak
              • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
                  --- In barsoom@y..., Bruce Bozarth <tangor@p...> wrote:
                  > xenophile2002@y... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am trying to post. My posting abilities seem to be... dying.

                  Just like Captain Carter, I am alive again!

                  > I received your post. Are you still trying to Yahoo? (tongue in
                  > cheek)

                  Be careful; you rface could stick like that. ^_~

                  > Yahoo, the recently publisized pornography site, does not seem to

                  Pornography doesn't bother me. But I'll agree that it's out of place
                  at any ERB site, group, etc. I'll admit that I'd probably read a
                  Barsoom lemon out of curiosity.

                  > be a realistic ERB venue. ERB fans are invited to join an
                  > uncompromised list server:
                  > Send email to erblist@p... with the word SUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT
                  > line

                  I'm afraid the e-ddress choped off. Can you tell me the rest
                  of "erblist@p..."?

                  > barsoomer, you did GOOD attempting to start an erb formum at Yahoo,

                  Who DID start this group? I can probably find the answer to that.

                  > with good heart and effort. Unfortunately you have been stabbed in
                  > the back by money market dot.com ghods desperate to make a buck
                  > rather than promote Internet fan relations.

                  o_0?

                  <snip remainder>
                • Alan Saunders
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                    Bruce Bozarth wrote:
                    > Is big news here these last three weeks--and the stock market
                    responded
                    > by dumping Yahoo stock so quickly that Yahoo hurriedly retracted
                    their
                    > sales of pornographic and adult material (their "safeguards for
                    minors"
                    > was such a joke).

                    They have also removed porn and other related related categories from
                    their 'Clubs' listings, although they do not appear to have deleted
                    any existing ones. I think they are hoping that since no-one can find
                    them any more they will wither on the vine. I don't know if they have
                    performed a similar surgical strike on the Yahoo Groups, but it
                    wouldn't surprise me.

                    > I sincerely wish all the best to the Barsoom group, I hope that is
                    > plain. However, like many Americans I'm torn between poking Yahoo
                    in the
                    > eye for being so dumb and overt to pander to the most base aspects
                    of
                    > Internet sales and marketing (and voting such unhappiness by a
                    personal
                    > boycott of their services) and seeing this group expand.

                    To be fair this group wasn't set up under Yahoo, it was set up under
                    E-Groups, but unfortunately the 'normal' process of merger and
                    takeover has meant that it's ended up here. In terms of other groups
                    I belong to this has been beneficial, with loads of extra facilities
                    for us to use.

                    Anyway, as long as there is at least one member this group will
                    remain here for anyone to use.

                    Alan Saunders
                    alan.catherine@...
                    http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine

                    He believed, along with General Tacticus, that courage, bravery and
                    the indominable human spirit were fine things which nevertheless
                    tended to take second place to the combination of courage, bravery,
                    the indominable human spirit and a six-to-one superiority of numbers.
                    (Terry Pratchett, 'Jingo')
                  • Fredrik Ekman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                      On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Alan Saunders wrote:

                      > To be fair this group wasn't set up under Yahoo, it was set up under
                      > E-Groups

                      Actually I believe that it was set up even before that, back when Onelist
                      had not yet merged with eGroups. Ah, but those were the days!

                      But seriously, I am not principally against boycotting Yahoo (although
                      more because it is so obvious that Yahoo do not care about their users
                      than as a protest against pornography). But what alternatives do we have?
                      The only similar services left that I know of are Lycos Hotbot and
                      www.topica.com. Does anyone have an opinion as to their quality? Of
                      course, the final word will have to be Alan's.

                      /Fredrik

                      , but unfortunately the 'normal' process of merger and
                      > takeover has meant that it's ended up here. In terms of other groups
                      > I belong to this has been beneficial, with loads of extra facilities
                      > for us to use.
                      >
                      > Anyway, as long as there is at least one member this group will
                      > remain here for anyone to use.
                      >
                      > Alan Saunders
                      > alan.catherine@...
                      > http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine
                      >
                      > He believed, along with General Tacticus, that courage, bravery and
                      > the indominable human spirit were fine things which nevertheless
                      > tended to take second place to the combination of courage, bravery,
                      > the indominable human spirit and a six-to-one superiority of numbers.
                      > (Terry Pratchett, 'Jingo')

                    • Fredrik Ekman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                        Of course I did not mean Lycos Hotbot, really. I do not know quite where
                        my brain was at the moment. I really meant to say Listbot
                        (www.listbot.com).

                        /Fredrik
                      • Bruce Bozarth
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                          Fredrik Ekman wrote:
                          > than as a protest against pornography). But what alternatives do we have?
                          > The only similar services left that I know of are Lycos Hotbot and
                          > www.topica.com. Does anyone have an opinion as to their quality? Of
                          > course, the final word will have to be Alan's.

                          If the listmeister is interested I can provide information (and
                          assistance if required) to set up a personally owned and managed
                          listserver using the same software used at ERBList. Last time I looked
                          it was $30 US to register for the full version and free to use the light
                          version. Works over ordinary dialup ISP services, can be set to strip
                          attachments (if desired) and is virtually spam free because of the
                          membership/subscriber requirements. I've been using this software for
                          three years at ERBList, first under Win95, now WinNT.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                            At 08:14 PM 4/29/01 +0200, Fredrik Ekman wrote:
                            >Of course I did not mean Lycos Hotbot, really. I do not know quite where
                            >my brain was at the moment. I really meant to say Listbot
                            >(www.listbot.com).

                            I have no idea how listbot is doing now, but I know of a couple of lists
                            that moved from listbot to egroups because of amazingly bad performance
                            from listbot, like messages taking a day to be transmitted to the list
                            members. That was about a year ago, and they might have improved things
                            since then.

                            Ghak
                          • Bruce Bozarth
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                              Steve Wadding wrote:
                              > I have no idea how listbot is doing now, but I know of a couple of lists
                              > that moved from listbot to egroups because of amazingly bad performance
                              > from listbot, like messages taking a day to be transmitted to the list

                              I gave up on Listbot when Microsoft gobbled them up.