Re: [barsoom] New file uploaded to barsoom

  • Rod H
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2001
      barsoom@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > File : /femalegorthan.jpg
      > Uploaded by : keithvaughn@...
      > Description : Female Gorthan (Assassin) at Work

      Naked except for boots, gloves and weapon harness. Now
      that's how I picture Barsoomians.

      Rod
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2005
        In a message dated 26/2/05 17:23:54, barsoom@yahoogroups.com writes:

        Can't vouch for the kid, but she is certainly Dejah Thoris!

        AQPorter

        P. S. -- enjoyed your concept of the Bird of Dor. The orluk and zitidar
        don't exactly match my images, but then probably nobody else's would either.
        Have to go back through my old BURROUGHS BULLETINS and find the zitidar I sent
        Vern so many years ago.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005
          In a message dated 5/3/05 22:21:23, barsoom@yahoogroups.com writes:

          >   Description : a very silly silian

          Nasty looking critter.

        • Shawn Dueck
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2005
            Glad you liked it, and er, that your GF thought it was
            ugly. I think Whelan has his version of the darseen
            on the Thuvia cover. I'm working on an arbok right
            now, and it occured to me for the first time that the
            lizard squaring off with the sith on Whelan's SMOM
            cover is probably his arbok. Now there's a sentence
            that makes absolutely no sense to the ERB-unfamiliar!
            I wonder if there's a conlang for 'ERB-unfamiliar',
            like "nonvERBal". Would ERB fans be "ERBivores"? Not
            likely.
            - Shawn

            --- Saroda Mara <xenophile2002@...> wrote:
            ---------------------------------

            Thanks for this darseen. My GF said it was ugly.
            This, as I have
            said before, is a sure sign that you have done well.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            Terms of Service.

          • Shawn Dueck
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16, 2005
              Yes, the arbok does not stand out. Mostly because
              it's featured in what is many people's least favorite
              story " The Giant of Mars". In the first chapter
              (JCOM) JC is attacked by an arbok whilst on a pre-dawn
              inspection of the "Forest of Helium" on thoatback with
              Deja. I wasn't too excited about drawing the arbok at
              first, but once I was able to envision this
              nasty-wasty it got more interesting. I think of it as
              being a cross between a leopard, a raptor, and a
              wolverine. I thought I was breaking new ground untiil
              I thought about Whelan's SMOM cover. Rats! Speaking
              of which, if I ever do an ulsio, it will NOT be the
              three-legged variety! What to do next? Did I hear
              someone say spider? We'll see. Ciao!
              -Shawn

              --- Saroda Mara <xenophile2002@...> wrote:
              ---------------------------------

              I think it's really cool that you are doing these
              critters that have
              so little description. Zitadars, orluks, darseens,
              Dor birds,
              silians, and now the arbok.

              Um, actually, I, um...

              I don't remember the arbok. Where is the beastie
              found?

              If you do a twelve-legged, hissing spider, that will
              creep me out.
              I'll still save it to disk, but *yecht*!