Copyright Issues

  • Peter Renfro
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2001
      At 06:11 PM 3/20/01 +0100, you wrote:
      >For a general discussion on copyright issues, we must also remember that
      >rules differ between countries. In most of Western Europe, the individual
      >is much better protected than in the US, for instance. In Sweden, the
      >actual ownership to something that you have produced can never be traded
      >away (even though the rights to publish it can). So if Yahoo claims
      >ownership to something I have written (in Sweden, for Yahoo), can I call
      >upon Swedish law to reclaim it? I have no idea. Probably even lawyers
      >would have difficulties giving a straight answer.

      And no-one's going to fight it in court unless some *really* big money was
      involved.
      I ran into a similiar situation a few years ago while promoting a music
      festival I burned 10 CD samplers to send out to radio stations (instead of
      waiting for bands to send promo copies of their albums). One band got into
      a real tif about it and started threatening legal action. After trying to
      work things out and still being threatened with lawsuits, I finally kicked
      them off the line-up. Even though I was in the wrong, local lawyer told me
      there was nothing they could do unless they wanted to spend $15,000+ to
      take it to federal court...and even then -- what kind of damages would they
      claim? 1 5-minute song copied 10 times and given away to radio stations --
      he thought it was one of the funniest things he'd ever heard.

      The lesson is that copyrights don't mean much unless you have the money to
      protect them.

      In fact, if I decided to do a deluxe edition of _At the Earth's Core_ and
      reproduce both the St. John & Krenkel illustrations and made 25 copies
      which I sold for $100 each...Burroughs Inc. and executor of St. John's
      probably wouldn't do anything about it. Sure, it's a flagrant violation of
      their rights, but the time and effort to prosecute wouldn't be in their
      best interests.

      Now, if I published 1000 copies, then it would be a different ballgame...

      Peter Renfro <prognerd@...>
      Owner, Carolina Packaging
      207 South Elliott Road
      Chapel Hill, NC 27514
      Tel: (919) 968-1181
      Fax: (919) 968-2557
    • Fredrik Ekman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2001
        Perhaps the final word in this discussion? The following is a quote
        from Yahoo's Terms of Service: "Yahoo does not claim ownership of
        Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service."
        Then follow a number of disclaimers, but nothing, as far as I can
        tell, that substantially reduces the validity of the statement.

        I have a vague recollection that (as Bruce pointed out) Yahoo actually
        did claim ownership at one piont, but that there was so much
        resistance that they had to back on that.

        In conclusion: We may think what we like about Yahoo as an entity, but
        they do not in any way own our words, much less our minds. Post on!

        /Fredrik
      • Bruce Bozarth
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 21, 2001
          Fredrik Ekman wrote:
          > In conclusion: We may think what we like about Yahoo as an entity, but
          > they do not in any way own our words, much less our minds. Post on!

          Thanks for the update on what is clearly a revised TOS at Yahoo. That
          said, I will continue to lurk or offer short asides as the mood
          strikes--Yahoo has disappointed too often for me to embrace the site.

          --

          TANGOR

          Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
          http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
          The Official ERB FAQ is at
          http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html