carter strips

  • ralph
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2003
      dear members, i just wanted to thank everyone, i got my TARZAN , THE
      LOST ADVENTURE DARKHORSE SET 1-4 in the mail today---yes, it has the
      john carter comic strip reprints in it---great, it gives me a chance
      to enjoy something i could never afford in it's original form---------
      i am enjoying them immensely------ralph
    • thongor1
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2003
        Ralph, glad to hear you got the John Carter strips. They're a lot of
        fun. Though most sources say the stories were written by John Coleman
        Burroughs as well as drawn by him, I always wondered if ERB had
        anything to do with the plotting of some of the continuity. Always
        thought it might be fun to write a 'new' John Carter novel using some
        of the ideas from the strip.

        Charles
      • Fredrik Ekman
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2003
          On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, thongor1 wrote:

          > Though most sources say the stories were written by John Coleman
          > Burroughs as well as drawn by him, I always wondered if ERB had anything
          > to do with the plotting of some of the continuity.

          I have been thinking along the same lines, and did some research on the
          subject a few years ago. I no longer remember exactly what I came up with,
          but the following details stuck in my mind:

          1. The changes to the plot where it breaks off from the novel were
          requested by the publisher who wanted more action. It is not clear who
          decided the exact plot, however.

          2. ERB was absent as a war correspondent for most of the strip's duration,
          so he could not have been directly involved in more than the first few
          weeks' production.

          Having said that, I very much like to think that father and son talked the
          strip over thoroughly before JCB started producing it, so that ERB was
          probably to some extent involved.
        • thongor1
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 14, 2003
            That's sort of what I was thinking as well, though some of the
            situations the strip portrays don't seem very ERB like. More like the
            stuff in The Giant of Mars.
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 14, 2003
              http://www.angelfire.com/trek/jcb/erbz338.html
              http://www.angelfire.com/trek/jcb/erbz339.html
              JoN
              That's sort of what I was thinking as well, though some of the
              situations the strip portrays don't seem very ERB like. More like the
              stuff in The Giant of Mars.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor