Re: Hello all

  • keithbvaughn
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2003
      Hi Bill,

      The last book in the Martian Series was "John Carter and the Giant of
      Mars" it was written as a big-little book and needed to have an
      illustration opposite of each page of text--and it was written by
      ERB's son: John Coleman Burroughs. It is considered non- cannon by
      most. "The Skeleton Men of Jupiter" was found in ERB's vaults after
      his death. It was never finished and the ending that was grafted on
      it was simply a disappointment that showed much more was possible
      with the story.

      By all means post your sketches to the photos section. I'm showing
      off my poor drawing ability with a couple of pictures in the files
      section: Female Gorthan and Couple in Ruins. In the latter you will
      see the twin towers of helium in the man's breastplate. Enjoy

      Keith

      P.S. You may enjoy my speculative article: "Evolution on Barsoom,"
      also in the files section.

      the entire Barsoom series on its shelves (I was born a little too
      late to pick up the entire series when it was re-issued in the 80s
      and to my knowledge the 90's reissues didn't include the whole
      series). I first picked up A Princess of Mars in 5th grade (God, has
      it really been half a decade?) and subsequently went through the
      entire series. I was a little disappointed with the last book. The
      books sparked a real interest in astronomy that continues to this
      day, and more than once I've held out my arms to the red planet and
      wished to be transported there to the cities of Helium and Ptarth.
      Of course, who here hasn't, right? I think Princess and Chessmen are
      my favorites of the bunch, and I've got a few dozen admittedly Whelan-
      inspired sketches filed away somewhere.
    • bill_adcock2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2003
        Wow. Thanks for the info, my friend...I've seen your sculpting work
        in the VIP at miniaturepainting.net, now that I think about it.

        I would love to post my little doodles, but my scanner is hooked up
        to my personal computer, and the internet is hooked to the family
        computer...and the family computer's disk drive is jammed. Wheee.
        You know what though, I'll send the hard copies to a friend of mine
        with a request to scan them and E-mail them to me, and from there
        I'll upload them.

        --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "keithbvaughn" <keithvaughn@g...>