Re: [barsoom] carthoris' leaping ability

  • Jim Clunie
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
      >From: "ralph" <ggrasso06@...>

      >dear barsoomians, is there any comparison between john carters
      >jumping length and the distance reached by carthoris ? is it half due
      >to the fact that carthoris is half-earthman? or is it less? did
      >burroughs make a written statement on it?---thanks, ralphg

      I don't recall any truly amazing leaps made by Carthoris, though I could be
      wrong.

      He managed to get to the top of a one-storey enclosure in "The Gods of
      Mars", but might have had to grab the top of the wall or his dad's hand in
      that case. He seems to be a pretty strong climber - in fact he might have
      gained more in upper-body strength than in jumping.

      Jim C

      ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get five times more storage - 10MB
      in your Hotmail account. Click here http://join.msn.com/
    • ralph
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
        dear members, anyone else know the difference between carter's and
        carthoris' leaping ability? also another novel in which the hero
        developes great leaping prowess is MAZA OF THE MOON by otis adelbert
        kline . i like this novel very much and i think klines works gives
        burroughs a little run for his money [ tam, maza and the venuis
        series ]----in fact i think stilson's POLARIS, geiseys PALOS, farleys
        radio series are damn good scientific romance in the burroughs
        tradition-------well so much for my babbling, how about the leaping?
        have fan fiction or fans thought on this?-----ralph g
      • Fredrik Ekman
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
          On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Jim Clunie wrote:

          > I don't recall any truly amazing leaps made by Carthoris, though I could
          > be wrong.

          Well, ERB writes thus in Gods, Ch 11:

          "I noted the marvellous speed of the young red man as he raced after the
          guards. Never had I seen such speed in any Martian. His leaps and bounds
          were little short of those which my earthly muscles had produced to create
          such awe and respect on the part of the green Martians into whose hands I
          had fallen on that long-gone day that had seen my first advent upon Mars."

          And in Ch 13, Carthoris says:

          "I can almost leap to the top of that wall myself. I have tried it many
          times, and each day I come a little closer."

          So Carthoris is clearly a good jumper, but not in the same league as his
          father.

          Fredrik