carthoris' leaping ability

  • ralph
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2003
      dear barsoomians, is there any comparison between john carters
      jumping length and the distance reached by carthoris ? is it half due
      to the fact that carthoris is half-earthman? or is it less? did
      burroughs make a written statement on it?---thanks, ralphg
    • Jim Clunie
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
        >From: "ralph" <ggrasso06@...>

        >dear barsoomians, is there any comparison between john carters
        >jumping length and the distance reached by carthoris ? is it half due
        >to the fact that carthoris is half-earthman? or is it less? did
        >burroughs make a written statement on it?---thanks, ralphg

        I don't recall any truly amazing leaps made by Carthoris, though I could be
        wrong.

        He managed to get to the top of a one-storey enclosure in "The Gods of
        Mars", but might have had to grab the top of the wall or his dad's hand in
        that case. He seems to be a pretty strong climber - in fact he might have
        gained more in upper-body strength than in jumping.

        Jim C

        ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get five times more storage - 10MB
        in your Hotmail account. Click here http://join.msn.com/
      • ralph
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
          dear members, anyone else know the difference between carter's and
          carthoris' leaping ability? also another novel in which the hero
          developes great leaping prowess is MAZA OF THE MOON by otis adelbert
          kline . i like this novel very much and i think klines works gives
          burroughs a little run for his money [ tam, maza and the venuis
          series ]----in fact i think stilson's POLARIS, geiseys PALOS, farleys
          radio series are damn good scientific romance in the burroughs
          tradition-------well so much for my babbling, how about the leaping?
          have fan fiction or fans thought on this?-----ralph g
        • Fredrik Ekman
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
            On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Jim Clunie wrote:

            > I don't recall any truly amazing leaps made by Carthoris, though I could
            > be wrong.

            Well, ERB writes thus in Gods, Ch 11:

            "I noted the marvellous speed of the young red man as he raced after the
            guards. Never had I seen such speed in any Martian. His leaps and bounds
            were little short of those which my earthly muscles had produced to create
            such awe and respect on the part of the green Martians into whose hands I
            had fallen on that long-gone day that had seen my first advent upon Mars."

            And in Ch 13, Carthoris says:

            "I can almost leap to the top of that wall myself. I have tried it many
            times, and each day I come a little closer."

            So Carthoris is clearly a good jumper, but not in the same league as his
            father.

            Fredrik