Re: abridged Tarzan

  • Seth K. Deitch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
      --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, jhuckenp@a... wrote:

      > In a message dated 5/31/03 8:11:21 PM, doktorf@t... writes:
      >
      > << I recently saw (but didn't purchase) an copy of Tarzan and the
      Golden

      > Lion in a thrift shop and noted that it was marked as being
      abridged.

      > I could see that it didn't seem to have been cut for length, so what
      >
      > sort of things were they abridging for? The book was printed in
      1952. >>

      > Seth --
      >
      > Who was the publisher? Was it one of Whitman's "Big Little Books"
      (later
      > called "Better Little Books")?
      >
      > Huck

      First of all, I went back and got it out of curiosity. It was only
      a buck. I miswrote the title. It was Tarzan and the City of Gold, not
      Tarzan and the Golden Lion. It *is* published by Whitman, but it is
      not a "Big Little Book" as I understand them to be small, thick
      hardbacks about 3"x4" with text and illustrations on alternate pages.
      Rather this one seems to be a more standard novel presentation with
      six or seven black and white plate illustrations by Jesse Marsh. It
      has no imprint date but shows copyright for 1933 and 1952, but now Im
      not sure that 1952 is the imprint date and am more inclined by its
      general appearance to place it in the early '60's.
      -Seth Deitch
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
        You might want to refer to the illustrated bibliographic info in our
        ERB C.H.A.S.E.R. Encyclopedia
        http://www.angelfire.com/trek/chaser/
        The City of Gold entry is at:
        http://www.angelfire.com/trek/chaser2/erbz725.html

        Whitman Publishing: October 6, 1952 ~ "Authorized Abridged Edition" ~ 250 pages
        Don McLoughlin: DJ front & back ~ Jesse Marsh: illustrated endpapers and 12 interiors
        Whitman Publishing: 1954 ~ pictorial boards replace DJ ~ 282 pages
        Don McLoughlin: front and back cover ~ Tony Sgroi: endpapers, title page, and many blue tint interiors

        JoN
        Bill and Sue-On Hillman Eclectic Studio
        http://home.westman.wave.ca/~hillmans

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
          --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Bill and Sue-On Hillman"
          <hillmans@w...> wrote:
          > You might want to refer to the illustrated bibliographic info in our
          > ERB C.H.A.S.E.R. Encyclopedia
          > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/chaser/
          > The City of Gold entry is at:
          > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/chaser2/erbz725.html
          >
          > Whitman Publishing: October 6, 1952 ~ "Authorized Abridged Edition"
          ~ 250 pages
          > Don McLoughlin: DJ front & back ~ Jesse Marsh: illustrated
          endpapers and 12 interiors
          > Whitman Publishing: 1954 ~ pictorial boards replace DJ ~ 282 pages
          > Don McLoughlin: front and back cover ~ Tony Sgroi: endpapers,
          title page, and many blue tint interiors

          > JoN
          > Bill and Sue-On Hillman Eclectic Studio
          > http://home.westman.wave.ca/~hillmans

          Well, the volume in question is certainly refered to, but without
          reading it side by side with a first edition, I'm still not clear on
          precisely *how* it was abridged. Perhaps that is exactly what I'll
          have to do.
          -Seth Deitch

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
            It seems to have been simplified for juvenile readers. A full comparison would be a pretty major job.

            JoN
            ERBzin-e Weekly Online Fanzine
            http://home.westman.wave.ca/~hillmans/erbmg101.html
            Navigation Map to our ERB Cosmos
            http://home.westman.wave.ca/~hillmans/intromq1.html

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
              In a message dated 6/1/03 9:02:43 AM, doktorf@... writes:

              << It was Tarzan and the City of Gold, not

              Tarzan and the Golden Lion. It *is* published by Whitman, but it is

              not a "Big Little Book" as I understand them to be small, thick

              hardbacks about 3"x4" with text and illustrations on alternate pages.

              Rather this one seems to be a more standard novel presentation with

              six or seven black and white plate illustrations by Jesse Marsh. It

              has no imprint date but shows copyright for 1933 and 1952, but now Im

              not sure that 1952 is the imprint date and am more inclined by its

              general appearance to place it in the early '60's. >>

              Seth --

              Ah, that's a different animal entirely. Whitman published abridged editions
              of CITY OF GOLD and FORBIDDEN CITY for young readers in 1952, and reprinted
              them in 1954 and 1966 with the dust jacket designs printed directly on the
              covers.

              As to the abridgement -- there's more of it than meets the eye. Though the
              page count does not ssem that much less (282 pp. vs. 316 in the first ed.), the
              print is a lot larger and the illustration pages are numbered (lowering the
              actual page count to 261).

              Huck