breasts... again

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 23, 2014
      As much as I enjoy the James Spratt illustrated _Princess of Mars_ and as much as i enjoy my Jetan Set made for me by Mr Spratt, i do believe that he overly-endowed his Martian Women.  Not to complain as I feel that all women should be designed like Raquel Welch!

      But lately I have been cos-playing with two female friends, one quite busty, the other quite small and that got me thinking.

      Edgar Rice Burroughs was NOT a breast man!  I don't know what he preferred though I suspect that unlike me, when he looked at a woman walking down the street, the first thing he noticed was her face.
      Why?

      Here is my argument.
      the average bra size for an American woman today is a C-cup!  the average bra size for an European woman today is a B-cup!  people blame the growth hormones we pump into American beef to make them fatter, growth hormones that make their way into milk and hamburgers, thus resulting in larger Americna breasts for our growing girls.

      But in the early 20th Century, the time of ERB, America matched Europe and so to Burroughs, a B-cup would be 'average' or 'normal'.  This is important.

      Now when we read his works, he always describes his heroines as possessing 'small firm breasts'!  If a B-cup was average/normal, then a 'small' breast must be an A-cup!  Were it a C-cup, he would have sdescribe dthem as 'large'.  Were they a B-cup, he would have described them as 'average-sized' or such.  but he consistantly used the word 'small'.  I have my suspicions as to the kind of girl ERB preferred but will keep that to myself as the paper I had read on this was disturbing.

      This Tavia (A Fighting Man of Mars) could easily pass for a boy as she was simply, flat chested.
      Jane, Dejah Thoris, Diane, Duare would need no bra nor would they sag becuase they were, in ERB's eyes, small breasted and thus an A-cup!

      Any thoughs on this?
      I may do a paper o nthis for ERBZine if there is enough interest or comments to expand this post.

    • Ronald E. Prindle
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 23, 2014
        What disturbing paper did you read?  Go ahead since you got started.  Obviously Emma was much more than a c-cup.

        http://rick-johnson.webs.com/

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 23, 2014
            Martian women were egg layers.  So breasts were surplusage...

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 23, 2014
              that is my primary argument.
              the child hatches after 5 years almost an adult, wild and untamed so there would be no need to nurse thus bre4asts would be simply sexual dimorphism like color in fish and reptiles.

              Burroughs environment is a secondary argument to explain and support his description of their size,

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 23, 2014
                  Before the oceans dried up, there may have been functional breasts.  But if the Barsoomian people are not mammals...

                  Ghak

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 23, 2014
                    I wouldn't draw any "disturbing" conclusions from ERB's tendency to create characters known for their stunning beauty who then turn out to be built like teenage girls.  For one thing, sixteen was considered a perfectly reasonable age for marriage in those days, and nobody thought there was anything "disturbing" or "creepy" about it.  ERB's female leads were, for the most part, neither widows nor old maids, so in fact they probably were teenagers, or barely twenty (I think Jane was barely twenty).  In those cases where she wasn't a teenager (or barely twenty), she would nonetheless LOOK as if she were, because that's what a marriageable virgin "should" look like.

                    Of course, if it still bothers you, well it gets worse.  Consider that girls mature, physically, at younger ages than they did back then (better nutrition, better control of childhood diseases, and sedentary lifestyle seem the be the reasons).  A sixteen-year-old in the 1910s probably looked like a fourteen-year-old today.

                    But again, there was nothing unusual about this.  Heck, Juliette, famed lover of Romeo, was fourteen.
                  • mcreek45
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 23, 2014
                      Until the 20th Century people tended to go from child to adult.  The concept of "teenagers" as we know them today just did not exist.  That's why they had child labor and women got married young.  Around 12 to 16 years old in various cultures boys and girls became adults and went to work outside the home and got married and stopped attending school at the end of about 6th to 8th grade.  At 16 you have at least 10 years experience helping on the farm and you are old enough to drive, so you can get your own land and live on your own farm.  You were going to live near where you grew up, so help was always nearby.

                      Mike Bunkermeister Creek
                      Bunker Talk blog

[...]

                    • jhuckenp
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 23, 2014
                        Before the oceans dried up, there may have been functional breasts.  But if the Barsoomian people are not mammals...

                        Ghak

                        I've always considered them monotremes, which are primitive mammals.  The green men seem to be more reptilian (Marsh actually drew them as batrachian) as did the calot (see St. John's illustration facing p. 172 of MASTER MIND, not the bloated slug from the movie)  As to ERB's statement that there is only one true mammal on Mars, I've always suspected that it was the orluk -- admittedly without any evidence other than its pelt.

                        AQPorter

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 23, 2014
                          Rick --

                          I'm with ERB on this one.  Probably because when I was a kid, my aunt & uncle in Minnesota had a dairy farm which I visited every summer.  By the time I was five I had had my fill of pendulant udders, and I've always appreciated less top-heavy figures.

                          The illustrations by Schoonover, St. John, Monahan and Hutton bear out the A-cup (or at most, B-cup) theory.  Unfortunately, Krenkel, Abbett, and especially Frazetta lean toward the pneumatic side of the argument.  (Okay, I know "argument" is not the word I'm looking for -- what is?)

                          AQPorter

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 23, 2014
                            "(Okay, I know "argument" is not the word I'm looking for -- what is?)"

                            Spectrum?
                          • jhuckenp
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 24, 2014
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 24, 2014
                                Most remarkable.      ^_~
                              • Russell Viers
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 24, 2014
                                  And I would repspectfully disagree with Rick Johnson, on parts of this subject as well. Let us not forget the cave girls of the Mammoth Men in "Back to the Stone Age" whom I remember were discribed as being "bare breasted". Yes ERB wrote that the breasts of La-Ja, were small and firm, but apparently were noticeable enough that Von Horst couldn't take his eyes off them!

                                  I think James Spratt had the right idea but took creative liberties with his comic art and perhaps went a little too far in regards to breast size. Frank Frazetta I feel did some good portrayals, but he often makes his woman too pale, a big contrast to ERB's descriptions of people being of a bronze or copper color.

                                  I could also side step to another similar subject that is sometimes debated among ERB fans: the theme of nudity and how this applies to his series. My stance on this is that the word nudity is followed to the letter. In other words if for example,Tara of Helium is described in ERB's stories as being naked except for a leather harness, some sandals, and maybe a bracelet or two, then that means she has no clothes on whatsoever, except for the leather harness, sandals and bracelets.

                                  Now to imagine what that looks like in real life is not very difficult. When I was stationed in Germany and the Netherlands I found that there were many sex shops which sold adult and S/M apparel that when worn by a woman give a clear picture as to how the average Barsoomian girl would look.

                                  Perhaps it is our civilized societies that have drilled the framework of dress and customs so well into our minds that we have forgotten just what it means to be bare breasted.

                                  ~Russ

                                  To: barsoom@yahoogroups.com