ERBzine Notes: Internet Publications vs. Print Publications

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2013
      BATTLE OF THE FORMATS
      Internet Publications vs. Print Publications
      If one has room, there is room for both print and electronic publications. I have the storage/display space and have many thousands of books, mags, photos
      AND discs, tapes, CDs, DVDs, and docs/data stored on hard drives and servers.

      I have an undisputed love of all things print, but have also have had years of vainly tracking down rare items in increasingly fewer book/record stores. . . and of manually keying in data base material to catalog it all. . . and paying mounting taxes for two residence libraries, fire/flood/theft insurance, heating,
      will/legacy-planning, dehumidying costs to guarantee the safety and longevity of my collections.

      There are many advantages of creating, collecting and storing digital material - as most libraries and repositories are discovering.
      A digital publication is not faced with the horrific costs demanded by publishers, printers, editors, advertisers and distributors. A hard copy has a few months to make a splash before it is relegated to the remainder, discount and flea market bins.

      Some of the other advantages of digital format include:
      * Instant publishing
      * No postal or printing costs and delays
      * Easier to reach a much larger and dispersed market
      * Fewer set-up costs and the whole world of POD, e-text, Kindle, etc. has much more appeal in this regard
      * The publication may be constantly revised as errors, omissions, and new data are found.
      * It costs no more to produce photos, graphs, pages, etc. in colour than in black & white
      * Images may be released on pages in low resolution, faster-loading thumbnails which may be clicked to much higher res if a more detailed image is required.
      * World-wide distribution - and language translators are becoming increasingly more effective
      * Easier now to adapt and tailor material to the increasingly fractured media markets
      * Material may be easily shared with friends, families, other collectors. . . and the world
      * Much of the world's population now have their ears/eyes glued to smart phones and pads. This is how they want to read material now - whether commuting on the move or in leisure or in business settings -- Like it or not, this is the direction that the modern world is moving
      * Entire libraries and countless docs and photos may be stored on a digital drive the size of an old pocketbook.
      * Many urban apartment dwellers just do not have the space to store mountains of print material
      * Saved material is easily backed up in a multitude of places and formats.
      * For those wanting a hard copy it is easy to print out pages in colour and/or b/w.
      * Print devotees may compile and bind their own books after printing out relevant material - sans advertising - and put these personalized editions on their bookshelves
      * Print is easily enlarged for those with failing vision
      * The interaction made possible by social media allows people to share their photos, text, letters, favourite books/music, etc.
      * Global searches of text, images, docs, music, spoken word, videos, etc. are now possible and very easy to do with instant results
      * Research is now possible from a home office negating the need to physically visit libraries and campuses to crawl through dusty library stacks hoping to find sources

      These are a few thoughts off the top of my head . . . much more may be added to this list by anyone who gives more time and serious thought to it.

      No one has to convince me of the joy perusing library shelves, finding rare volumes, flipping the pages, and the musty smell of old books and mags.
      There are many advantages in embracing both print and digital. Embracing both worlds can only add to the thrill of the chase -- and to the proliferation of knowledge.

      Bill Hillman
      www.hillmanweb.com

    • Ronald E. Prindle
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2013
        Bill:  There's already too much documentation available.  Research is becoming a joke as the internet fills up with sites like yours and mine.  There is so much raw data available that confidence in what you're writing is impossible.
        Titles pop up in your reading that all of a sudden adds oodles of information to your opinions.

        Books that were dismissed as useless all of a sudden appear important.  Suddenly something like the Process Church of the Final Judgment one had dismissed as mere crankism shows up as influential in the history of Marianne Faithfull and Mick Jagger.  That brings in the Manson affair, bringing drugs into sharper focus and it just goes on and on.  Hedge your opinions around so you don't ever look too foolish.  I tremble when I put pen to paper now.  My only solace is I'm no worse off than anyone else.  I am no longer hypercritical.

        Cheers.

        ________________________________

        http://www.hillmanweb.com/
        http://www.erbzine.com/

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22, 2013
          I, like so many others, will always love the print media.

          When I first introduced my daughter to Tarzan, I did so with a second
          edition hardback explaining, "Literature is more than words on paper,
          it is more than the images evoked. Literature is history, knowing
          that a century or more later, this work is still being read because it
          is so good that it hasn't faded away like so much pulp.
          "So when you read this, feel the paper, smell the dusky scent of the
          binding and glue and think about the dozens of people who have held
          this particulat piece of wood puld, each one enjoying that which you
          are about to experience."

          Yes,I keep the entire Burroughs library on my Nook.
          Some are epub, some PDF, some Doc... depending on copyright laws<g>.
          But I do so because when I am camping or traveling, it is easer than
          hauling 40# of books.

          Plus, a good Doc file is a good research tool.
          I can read the work, do a cut-and-past on the important parts and
          delete the rest as I read, leaving what I need for my paper, intact
          with no spelling errors or omissions.

          Plus, a good internet search will give me fan-fic, papers that would
          never be published save in some obscure fanzine that I could not
          afford to subscribe to, and, most importantly, find a book that had a
          limited publication run and faded away, being relegated to a few
          copies in a private collection of on ebay with little hope for
          purchase.

          The University purchased the Internet from the US Air Force as they
          saw the potential of having a bunch of undergrads typing in (now
          scanning) old literature and research papers to be e-mails to others,
          thus saving the originals form damage and loss.

          Properly used, the Internet is a wonderful thing, too bad it is
          clogged with so much crap!
          I teach a class on how to tell a good book from a bad when doing
          research, I should expand that to how to tell a god website from a bad
          one<g>.