Re: [barsoom] Re: ERBzine: Carson | Hillman Week | Pellucidar Doorways | Pellucidar fic | Amtor Art | 96 Tarzan Dailies | Foster's Valian 1937 | Mosaics

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
      I had read papers on bone growth in Dinosaurs which indicate that early
      growth was very rapid! I suppose to prevent the young from being left
      behind or stepped on by adults.
      This implies that as the Dinos in Jurassic Park were adults! As well as
      those in Carnosaur, etc, InGen had them cloned long years, maybe decades
      before they opened the park in 1990.

      This implies that instead of using current cloning technology to clone
      their Dinos, they could have found the dinos and dumped millions into
      cloning just to be able to get the clones viable.

      The first ones weren't 'perfect' so were sold to recover losses.

      I recall when someone got the idea of gene splicing insulin into E Coli to
      produce mass amounts of cheap insulin.
      It worked.... but the insulin wasn't 'perfect' and killed a lot of people
      before they got the technique down and working right.

      If InGen found the dinos in the 60's, or earlier (via a parent company*),
      they would have tried to clone them and failed miserably. So sold the
      imperfect clones and kept at it.

      * There are drug companies who hire people whose only job is to travel
      around the world and talk to the local witches to learn what plants do what
      i the hope of finding new drugs.
      Perhaps some company was doing a similar search when they found the dinos
      (dead or such) and created InGen as a means of capitalizing on the find??

      On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Steve <hicksc@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <hicksc@...> wrote:
      >

      > > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > True;
      > > > if Carnosaur was written in 1985 and Jurassic Park in 1990... the park
      > > > was fully functional and the Dinos full-sized and sexually mature
      > > > creatures by 1990. *Female Elephants reach adulthood in 10 years,
      > > > Males in 14. Sauropods???? T-Rex???
      > > SNIP
      > >
      > > The size of Sue? 30 years. Something like unto the full adult 20 years.
      > T-rex continues to grow somewhat even after achieving their big growth and
      > are suspected of being sexually mature more than a few years earlier.
      > >
      > > Steve
      > >

      > I just read the abstract of Currie's paper (Ontogenetic histology of
      > Apatosaurus (Dinosauria: Sauropoda): New insights on growth rates and
      > longevity in Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology), part of which reads:
      > "Estimation of ages of ~10 years for large sub-adults refutes the
      > hypothesis that slow, indeterminate growth was required for Apatosaurus and
      > other sauropods to achieve extremely large body sizes."
      >
      > So these grow even faster.

    • sailor.barsoom
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
        --- In barsoom, richard johnson wrote:

        <snip>

        > * There are drug companies who hire people whose only job is
        > to travel around the world and talk to the local witches to
        > learn what plants do what i the hope of finding new drugs.

        Yes. Ethnobotanists. Gotta be one of the coolest jobs around.

        You know, we don't see much of medicine in Pellucidar. There's gotta be a few Nobel Prizes waiting to be earned in those ever-noon jungles.