Re: [barsoom] ERBzine: 1937 | Mosaics

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 10, 2013
      Regeneration is right up there.  I don't know that Dinos had the same regenerative capacities as certain lizards.  Probably not.  But it strikes me that they'd have to have something like a regenerative property going on at the cellular chemical level, to keep several dozen tons of reptoflesh going.   Just to keep up with the wear and tear.  Also, some form of cellular regeneration, at the chemical level might have applications for halting or reversing the degeneration of age, at least some of it.

      One possibly interesting application is a chemical neural booster, something that helps pass a signal through nerve endings faster.  The thing with T-Rex is that if it as an active hunter, it had to move and react fast, perhaps very very fast.   A sauropod with a brain forty feet from its limbs had to have a fast booster, just to keep the signals from getting tied up and falling over its own feet.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
        --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

        > True;
        > if Carnosaur was written in 1985 and Jurassic Park in 1990... the park
        > was fully functional and the Dinos full-sized and sexually mature
        > creatures by 1990. *Female Elephants reach adulthood in 10 years,
        > Males in 14. Sauropods???? T-Rex???
        SNIP

        The size of Sue? 30 years. Something like unto the full adult 20 years. T-rex continues to grow somewhat even after achieving their big growth and are suspected of being sexually mature more than a few years earlier.

        Steve
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
          --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <hicksc@...> wrote:

          > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@> wrote:
          > >
          > > True;
          > > if Carnosaur was written in 1985 and Jurassic Park in 1990... the park
          > > was fully functional and the Dinos full-sized and sexually mature
          > > creatures by 1990. *Female Elephants reach adulthood in 10 years,
          > > Males in 14. Sauropods???? T-Rex???
          > SNIP
          >
          > The size of Sue? 30 years. Something like unto the full adult 20 years. T-rex continues to grow somewhat even after achieving their big growth and are suspected of being sexually mature more than a few years earlier.
          >
          > Steve

          I just read the abstract of Currie's paper (Ontogenetic histology of Apatosaurus (Dinosauria: Sauropoda): New insights on growth rates and longevity in Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology), part of which reads: "Estimation of ages of ~10 years for large sub-adults refutes the hypothesis that slow, indeterminate growth was required for Apatosaurus and other sauropods to achieve extremely large body sizes."

          So these grow even faster.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
            I had read papers on bone growth in Dinosaurs which indicate that early
            growth was very rapid! I suppose to prevent the young from being left
            behind or stepped on by adults.
            This implies that as the Dinos in Jurassic Park were adults! As well as
            those in Carnosaur, etc, InGen had them cloned long years, maybe decades
            before they opened the park in 1990.

            This implies that instead of using current cloning technology to clone
            their Dinos, they could have found the dinos and dumped millions into
            cloning just to be able to get the clones viable.

            The first ones weren't 'perfect' so were sold to recover losses.

            I recall when someone got the idea of gene splicing insulin into E Coli to
            produce mass amounts of cheap insulin.
            It worked.... but the insulin wasn't 'perfect' and killed a lot of people
            before they got the technique down and working right.

            If InGen found the dinos in the 60's, or earlier (via a parent company*),
            they would have tried to clone them and failed miserably. So sold the
            imperfect clones and kept at it.

            * There are drug companies who hire people whose only job is to travel
            around the world and talk to the local witches to learn what plants do what
            i the hope of finding new drugs.
            Perhaps some company was doing a similar search when they found the dinos
            (dead or such) and created InGen as a means of capitalizing on the find??

            On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Steve <hicksc@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <hicksc@...> wrote:
            >

            > > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > True;
            > > > if Carnosaur was written in 1985 and Jurassic Park in 1990... the park
            > > > was fully functional and the Dinos full-sized and sexually mature
            > > > creatures by 1990. *Female Elephants reach adulthood in 10 years,
            > > > Males in 14. Sauropods???? T-Rex???
            > > SNIP
            > >
            > > The size of Sue? 30 years. Something like unto the full adult 20 years.
            > T-rex continues to grow somewhat even after achieving their big growth and
            > are suspected of being sexually mature more than a few years earlier.
            > >
            > > Steve
            > >

            > I just read the abstract of Currie's paper (Ontogenetic histology of
            > Apatosaurus (Dinosauria: Sauropoda): New insights on growth rates and
            > longevity in Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology), part of which reads:
            > "Estimation of ages of ~10 years for large sub-adults refutes the
            > hypothesis that slow, indeterminate growth was required for Apatosaurus and
            > other sauropods to achieve extremely large body sizes."
            >
            > So these grow even faster.

          • sailor.barsoom
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 11, 2013
              --- In barsoom, richard johnson wrote:

              <snip>

              > * There are drug companies who hire people whose only job is
              > to travel around the world and talk to the local witches to
              > learn what plants do what i the hope of finding new drugs.

              Yes. Ethnobotanists. Gotta be one of the coolest jobs around.

              You know, we don't see much of medicine in Pellucidar. There's gotta be a few Nobel Prizes waiting to be earned in those ever-noon jungles.