Re: [barsoom] Journey to the Underground World

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15 11:34 AM
      >>Dictionary of Imaginary Places" by Alberto Manguel & Gianni Guadalupi.
      I find their maps to be ... inadequate and often drawnwithout a
      careful reading of the novels. Example being that Caspak has the
      islands of the Weiroo NOT within Caproni as are described but to the
      NE as seperate islands in the Pacific ocean.

      As I pointed out in my Doorways to Pellucidar paper at ERBZine.com, if
      we draw a circle to represent the "crater" of Zanthodon, then we
      should place the opening in the center of that circle. THEN when we
      place the Serevillo Map over that, we see more that 3/4 of that circle
      to be empty and unexplored. I suepect that the land to the East and
      south to be land all the way to the walls.

      I also disagree withthe age of Zanthodon as if it had eben created
      150,000,000 years ago, how the ,bleep. could there be life that had
      become extinct 250 million years ago? Devonian life could not have
      entered a cavern that was created a hundred million years after it
      have died out.

      That and the partially carnivorous ceratopsin implies that Prof Potter
      was not as good a historian as he thought and that Zanthodon must be
      connected to both Pellucidar and Pal-ul-Don as well as the
      mediterranean Sea (probably closed).

      Still, these problems do not interfere with my enjyment of the story
      as I have been a Carter fan for as long as I have been a Burroughs
      fan.