Re: [barsoom] Skartaris

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 20, 2013
      Something thatold you would think could be found at Gutenberg.org

      On 3/20/13, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:
      > Is it a cavern and Are there Dinosaurs?
      > If so, it could be _The last Dinosaur_ 1977 starring Richard Boone.
      >
      > On 3/20/13, Richard Creager <befano5@...> wrote:
      >> How about Ara?  The island station at the North Pole run by Martians
      >> (Nume)?
      >> Two Planets by Kurd Lasswitz, 1897
      >> (Something I'm reading for the first time)
      >>
      >> Rich
      >>

      >> ________________________________

    • Richard Creager
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 21, 2013
        No...no dinos.  It's an island surrounded by water (d'uh) surrounded by mountains.  Ara is the Nume outpost at the North Pole they use 1/2 of the year, and I don't know (yet) the name of their South Pole station.

        A small group of Germans in a balloon are trying to be the first to the North Pole.  Interesting technology on the balloon was its drag line.  The slower they wanted to go, the more drag line they had dragging across the Arctic ice, and they reeled in drag line to go faster.

        The Nume (from Nu) are more advanced than those of us from the planet Ba (which makes us Bati...some of us are more batty than others...LOL).  They utilize gravity as an energy source since gravity is (in speed) to the speed of light as the spped of light is to the speed of sound...and they 'harvest' a kind of radiation from the poles.

        And for being in the late 1800's some of the technology 'explanations' are pretty detailed.  And while treating the Bati that crashed on Ara, they could adjust the gravity in one part of the room for 'us' while keeping the gravity at 1/3 of ours for themselves in another part of the room.

        And with the Nume view of love and friendship and free will, I don't know if I'm reading something that could have influenced ERB or RAH or both.

        But I'm only 1/3 of the way through the book so far...LOL

        Wow, I just looked the author up on Wikipedia...Father of German Sci-Fi.  I haven't gotten to the 'rolling roads' yet, but that's another RAH item...Wow...

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurd_Lasswitz

        In any case, this is definitely more Barsoom than Land of the Lost.

        Hey, is there a map for 'Land of the Lost'?
        Have I got you singing the lyrics?
        "Marshall, Will and Holly
        On a routine expedition..."

        Haha,