Re: [barsoom] True Nature of Skartaris?

  • burker94509
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
      A science fiction write (I believe that Randall Garrett) once wrote a short story where he postulated that when John Carter travelled to Mars, he was also travelling back in time by 50,000 years. That's why Mars had an atmosphere.

      Bob Burke

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
        We all try to make some sense of this which is why Farmer created the
        Wold-Newton theory.

        I try to combine popular movies and novels about dinosaurs and relate
        them to Pellucidar with my 'Migration Route" theory.
        And try top explain 'humans' on Barsoom with Den Valdron's 'astral
        relocation' theory.

        We all just take different views to justify our work when 1 century
        ago, they just ...did it!

        Today's readers are far more educated than the original fans of Wells,
        Verne and Burroughs so we have to make sense.... of a sort.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
          I think that was John Stanley Flint, who wrote the Field Guide to Barsoom actually.

          I'm not thinking an alternate reality actually.  I'm thinking more along the lines of a pocket universe, perhaps one that simply accompanies planet formation.

          There is actually some arguments for that in respect of Pellucidar.  The fact that time seems to be functioning differently in there - ie, that time is out of synch with our world - so you have Abner Perry reaching a hundred, and the guy who isn't Dolly Dorcas hitting well over 150.  As well, time is out of synch in different parts of pellucidar.

          There are other things.  The impossible moon, the impossible sun.  The fact that gravity seems to be locally variable - (Tarzan at the Earth's Core featured a gliding stegosaur) (the Mahars as described seem too big to fly).  The visibly apparent convex curvature of the visible world, etc.

          So the notion of a permeable pocket universe tied to our planet and regularly absorbing species, plants and possibly exchanging  atmosphere seems workable.   Skarteris is just another name for same.

          ________________________________

          http://rick-johnson.webs.com/

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
            The nice thing about parallel universes, pocket universes, alternate
            realities is that we can 'bend'the law of science but if we would make
            it believable, we must not break them outright.

          • jhuckenp
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
              Zanthodon.

              AQPorter

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
                Steve, isn't this a tidy way of having our cake and eating it too?  If the Bermuda Triangle can be a portal to millions of years in the past (Terra Nova), why can't we have undetectable portals that take us to The Savage Land, Pellucidar, Skartaris, Lilliput, Kong Island and all the 'Land(s) That Time Forgot' without our realizing we're no longer 'where' we were?  (except Terra Nova and now Skartaris).

                Not to mention Avalon...

                ...oops, I mentioned Avalon.

                LOL,
                Rich

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
                  >>Zanthodon.
                  >>AQPorter

                  Zanthodon is not Inner World, but rather a Mega-Cavern that is connected to
                  the Inner World, probably via a very large tunnel-cave system.

                • Richard Creager
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 20, 2013
                    How about Ara?  The island station at the North Pole run by Martians (Nume)?
                    Two Planets by Kurd Lasswitz, 1897
                    (Something I'm reading for the first time)

                    Rich

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 20, 2013
                      Is it a cavern and Are there Dinosaurs?
                      If so, it could be _The last Dinosaur_ 1977 starring Richard Boone.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 20, 2013
                        Something thatold you would think could be found at Gutenberg.org

                        On 3/20/13, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:
                        > Is it a cavern and Are there Dinosaurs?
                        > If so, it could be _The last Dinosaur_ 1977 starring Richard Boone.
                        >
                        > On 3/20/13, Richard Creager <befano5@...> wrote:
                        >> How about Ara?  The island station at the North Pole run by Martians
                        >> (Nume)?
                        >> Two Planets by Kurd Lasswitz, 1897
                        >> (Something I'm reading for the first time)
                        >>
                        >> Rich
                        >>

                        >> ________________________________

                      • Richard Creager
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 21, 2013
                          No...no dinos.  It's an island surrounded by water (d'uh) surrounded by mountains.  Ara is the Nume outpost at the North Pole they use 1/2 of the year, and I don't know (yet) the name of their South Pole station.

                          A small group of Germans in a balloon are trying to be the first to the North Pole.  Interesting technology on the balloon was its drag line.  The slower they wanted to go, the more drag line they had dragging across the Arctic ice, and they reeled in drag line to go faster.

                          The Nume (from Nu) are more advanced than those of us from the planet Ba (which makes us Bati...some of us are more batty than others...LOL).  They utilize gravity as an energy source since gravity is (in speed) to the speed of light as the spped of light is to the speed of sound...and they 'harvest' a kind of radiation from the poles.

                          And for being in the late 1800's some of the technology 'explanations' are pretty detailed.  And while treating the Bati that crashed on Ara, they could adjust the gravity in one part of the room for 'us' while keeping the gravity at 1/3 of ours for themselves in another part of the room.

                          And with the Nume view of love and friendship and free will, I don't know if I'm reading something that could have influenced ERB or RAH or both.

                          But I'm only 1/3 of the way through the book so far...LOL

                          Wow, I just looked the author up on Wikipedia...Father of German Sci-Fi.  I haven't gotten to the 'rolling roads' yet, but that's another RAH item...Wow...

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurd_Lasswitz

                          In any case, this is definitely more Barsoom than Land of the Lost.

                          Hey, is there a map for 'Land of the Lost'?
                          Have I got you singing the lyrics?
                          "Marshall, Will and Holly
                          On a routine expedition..."

                          Haha,