Ricardo Delgado's Thoat Concept Art...

  • Russell Viers
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2012
      Kaor, Fellow Barsoomian/ERB fans...

       Was watching the John Carter movie as it aired on TV for the first time last night and that rekindled my deeply held love for the material that made Barsoom so real to me on screen. I loved the graphic art that was done for the thoats. They moved about so quickly and gracefully in the film. You can even see the the flat broad tails move up and down in perfect motions as would be the case if they were in fact, real animals. So, today, I sought to search on the internet for some images of Thoats. And just a few minutes prior to me writting this email, I found a website of the comic book artist Ricardo Delgado, whom I was familiar with by also being a Ray Harryhausen and Dinosaur fan. I had no idea he did concept art for Barsoomian themes and I just had to share this.

      Here is his web page:

      http://ricardodelgadoart.blogspot.com/2012/07/john-carter-of-mars-thoats.html

      The home page is kind of slopy, so to view the images, you have to click on them.

      My personal opinion, is that the images are good to some degree, but nowhere near to what is described by ERB. And I always pictured thoats as looking more reptilian, much like the dewbacks in Star Wars.

       And please forgive me if the above material is in fact, something that is already known to fellow members. I do not always keep up to date on what comes into our list group.

      best,

      ~RV