WOTW

  • mcreek45
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2012
      http://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-Global-Dispatches-spectra/dp/0553103539

      Besides being a huge fan of John Carter and his Barsoom, I also love The War of the Worlds. I recently came across a book called "War of the Worlds, Global Dispatches." It is a collection of short stories that are written by a number of authors as if they are people from all over the world who lived through a real Martian attack on Earth. One of those authors writes an ERB story where the WOTW Martians are blended with the Barsoom Martians. It's a great story.

      Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek

      "As our nation's forefathers would likely agree, the beguiling problem with quotes seen on the Internet is that you can never be certain they're genuine."
      -- Abraham Lincoln
    • Ronald E. Prindle
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2012
        That is a misquote of Lincoln's, what he actually said was 'Our posterity will doubtless complain that...'   It pays to get your quotes straight.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2012
          I stand corrected.

          Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
          That's how World War One started.

          Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek
          _http://www.mediatealways.org/_ (http://www.mediatealways.org/)
          _http://bunkermeister.blogspot.com/_ (http://bunkermeister.blogspot.com/)
          _http://sgtsays.blogspot.com/_ (http://sgtsays.blogspot.com/)
          _http://hystericalrightwing.blogspot.com/_
          (http://hystericalrightwing.blogspot.com/)

          "As our nation's forefathers would likely agree, the beguiling problem
          with quotes seen on the Internet is that you can never be certain they're
          genuine."
          -- Abraham Lincoln

        • ekman@lysator.liu.se
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
            Mike Creek wrote:
            > http://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-Global-Dispatches-spectra/dp/0553103539

            I agree, that is one very good story. One of the high points of an
            otherwise very uneven anthology, and also arguably the best Barsoom
            pastiche I have read so far.

            Fredrik
          • mcreek25@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
              I think it is very clever. Some of the others were pretty terrible. The
              Alaska one was very depressing. There were a couple others that were just
              bad. Over all, however, I think it was a good collection.

              It seems to me the wet tropical places would be the worst for the Martians
              because they are the most different from Mars. Machines would not function
              well in the wet and the Martians would not function well in the heat.

              Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek
              _http://www.mediatealways.org/_ (http://www.mediatealways.org/)
              _http://bunkermeister.blogspot.com/_ (http://bunkermeister.blogspot.com/)
              _http://sgtsays.blogspot.com/_ (http://sgtsays.blogspot.com/)
              _http://hystericalrightwing.blogspot.com/_
              (http://hystericalrightwing.blogspot.com/)

              "As our nation's forefathers would likely agree, the beguiling problem
              with quotes seen on the Internet is that you can never be certain they're
              genuine."
              -- Abraham Lincoln

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
                And we all remember how terrible that one was.  Made the Spanish American look like a real picnic.