Re: [barsoom] Gods of Mars Submarine

  • Jim Clunie
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2002
      >From: "deirdre_haynes" <xmucane@...>

      >I have read all the Martian series of books before, but just last
      >week I was reading 'Gods of Mars' and I came across something
      >interresting.
      >When John Carter and son are returning to the prison to free Xodar,
      >they pretend that they have been sent to the guards byt he commander
      >of he submarine and John Carter writes this on a form that he found
      >in the submarine. I was just wondering how did he know the writing?

      I thought at first that he might have copied the Dator's signature by eye,
      but not so, he writes a whole sentence and doesn't have a copy of the
      Dator's name. Er .. my only theory is that the message was not, in fact, in
      the script of the First Born.

      Immediately before these events, Carter is handed a "radio-aerial message",
      which he reads. Possibly this message was written in the Martian equivalent
      of Morse code. The code could be universal to radio-men of Barsoom, since it
      always encodes the same spoken language, and there must be _some_ method of
      long-distance telegraphy between cities to keep trade routes in order.
      Therefore, Carter proceeded to forge a second radio-aerial message in the
      same code, not in the Black Men's script. We know that it's a radio-aerial
      dispatch because he writes it on a dispatch blank.

      Jim C

    • Xenophile
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
        --- In barsoom, "Jim Clunie" wrote:

        >>From: "deirdre_haynes"

        >>I have read all the Martian series of books before, but just last
        >>week I was reading 'Gods of Mars' and I came across something
        >>interresting.
        >>When John Carter and son are returning to the prison to free Xodar,
        >>they pretend that they have been sent to the guards byt he
        >> commander of he submarine and John Carter writes this on a form
        >> that he found in the submarine. I was just wondering how did he
        >> know the writing?

        > I thought at first that he might have copied the Dator's signature
        > by eye, but not so, he writes a whole sentence and doesn't have a
        > copy of the Dator's name. Er .. my only theory is that the
        > message was not, in fact, in the script of the First Born.

        I can't think of anything better. I like it.

        > Immediately before these events, Carter is handed a "radio-aerial
        > message", which he reads. Possibly this message was written in the
        > Martian equivalent of Morse code. The code could be universal to
        > radio-men of Barsoom, since it always encodes the same spoken
        > language, and there must be _some_ method of long-distance
        > telegraphy between cities to keep trade routes in order.

        And cryptography is a total bust on Barsoom. So anybody can read
        anybody else's radio-aeriogram.

        > Therefore, Carter proceeded to forge a second radio-aerial message
        > in the same code, not in the Black Men's script. We know that it's
        > a radio-aerial dispatch because he writes it on a dispatch blank.

        Yes. I'll go for this.

        > Jim C

        Xenophile (who likes retcons, but thinks that this one is better
        than most... perhaps it's what ERB had in mind?)