Gods of Mars Submarine

  • deirdre_haynes
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
      I have read all the Martian series of books before, but just last
      week I was reading 'Gods of Mars' and I came across something
      interresting.
      When John Carter and son are returning to the prison to free Xodar,
      they pretend that they have been sent to the guards byt he commander
      of he submarine and John Carter writes this on a form that he found
      in the submarine. I was just wondering how did he know the writing?
    • Fredrik Ekman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
        On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, deirdre_haynes wrote:

        > I was just wondering how did he know the writing?

        ERB's books are just full of funny little things like that. ERB never let
        logic take precedence over telling a good story, yet he wrote so well that
        you practically never notice the little glitches on a first reading. Only
        when you re-read the books, or when you stop for a while to really analyze
        things, do all these "shortcomings" surface.

        (There are more amusing discoveries to be made regarding the submarine.
        Try to calculate how long it would take to transport an army of 5000
        through the underwater tunnel with only one sub, for instance. In the book
        it was done in about two zodes.)

        /Fredrik
      • Jim Clunie
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2002
          >From: "deirdre_haynes" <xmucane@...>

          >I have read all the Martian series of books before, but just last
          >week I was reading 'Gods of Mars' and I came across something
          >interresting.
          >When John Carter and son are returning to the prison to free Xodar,
          >they pretend that they have been sent to the guards byt he commander
          >of he submarine and John Carter writes this on a form that he found
          >in the submarine. I was just wondering how did he know the writing?

          I thought at first that he might have copied the Dator's signature by eye,
          but not so, he writes a whole sentence and doesn't have a copy of the
          Dator's name. Er .. my only theory is that the message was not, in fact, in
          the script of the First Born.

          Immediately before these events, Carter is handed a "radio-aerial message",
          which he reads. Possibly this message was written in the Martian equivalent
          of Morse code. The code could be universal to radio-men of Barsoom, since it
          always encodes the same spoken language, and there must be _some_ method of
          long-distance telegraphy between cities to keep trade routes in order.
          Therefore, Carter proceeded to forge a second radio-aerial message in the
          same code, not in the Black Men's script. We know that it's a radio-aerial
          dispatch because he writes it on a dispatch blank.

          Jim C

        • Xenophile
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
            --- In barsoom, "Jim Clunie" wrote:

            >>From: "deirdre_haynes"

            >>I have read all the Martian series of books before, but just last
            >>week I was reading 'Gods of Mars' and I came across something
            >>interresting.
            >>When John Carter and son are returning to the prison to free Xodar,
            >>they pretend that they have been sent to the guards byt he
            >> commander of he submarine and John Carter writes this on a form
            >> that he found in the submarine. I was just wondering how did he
            >> know the writing?

            > I thought at first that he might have copied the Dator's signature
            > by eye, but not so, he writes a whole sentence and doesn't have a
            > copy of the Dator's name. Er .. my only theory is that the
            > message was not, in fact, in the script of the First Born.

            I can't think of anything better. I like it.

            > Immediately before these events, Carter is handed a "radio-aerial
            > message", which he reads. Possibly this message was written in the
            > Martian equivalent of Morse code. The code could be universal to
            > radio-men of Barsoom, since it always encodes the same spoken
            > language, and there must be _some_ method of long-distance
            > telegraphy between cities to keep trade routes in order.

            And cryptography is a total bust on Barsoom. So anybody can read
            anybody else's radio-aeriogram.

            > Therefore, Carter proceeded to forge a second radio-aerial message
            > in the same code, not in the Black Men's script. We know that it's
            > a radio-aerial dispatch because he writes it on a dispatch blank.

            Yes. I'll go for this.

            > Jim C

            Xenophile (who likes retcons, but thinks that this one is better
            than most... perhaps it's what ERB had in mind?)