Otis Adelbert Kline-Planet of Peril Novel--@#*$**

  • keithbvaughn
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 26, 2002
      I just finished reading Otis Adelbert Kline's: Planet of Peril (I
      just found two of his Venus series which were rumored to be his best)
      and I was disappointed to say the least.

      The entry was clumsy at best, without the 7+ coincidences throughout
      the story, the hero would of been defeated and the pace only picked
      up from crawling a few times. The cliffhanger endings of some
      chapters were nothing but a disconnected sentence. On the whole it
      was an excellent example of why pulp and science fiction/planetary
      romance got the reputation it has. It's also a great example of how
      not to write a story.

      My question is this: Otis Adelbert Kline is said to be second to ERB
      in fast paced adventure writing--how did he ever get this reputation?
      This book was one of the worse pieces of hack writing I've seen.

      Thanks for letting me rant. Does anyone else have views on this
      subject?

      Keith

      (I should of reread some Lin Carter)
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 26, 2002
        In a message dated 26/10/2002 16:53:22, keithvaughn@... writes:

        << Thanks for letting me rant. Does anyone else have views on this
        subject? >>

        Keith --

        First I have to ask what edition you read. If it was the Avalon or Ace
        reprint, you weren't reading Kline, but some hack editor at Avalon. Avalon
        had a rigid 192-page format, which meant that PLANET OF PERIL was cut by
        approximately 40%. The McClurg edition contains the complete story.

        AQPorter
      • keithbvaughn
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2002
          Hi AQPorter,

          It was the Ace editions of "Planet of Peril" and "The Port of Peril"
          and their page counts are 160 and 192 respectively in a 7-8 point
          Times-Roman font. The book did read choppy at best--gawd awful at
          worse. I'll save my judgement until I have read the full version.

          I'll keep an eye out for the McClurg editions. When were they
          published?

          or Ace reprint, you weren't reading Kline, but some hack editor at
          Avalon. Avalon had a rigid 192-page format, which meant that PLANET
          OF PERIL was cut by approximately 40%. The McClurg edition contains
          the complete story.

          Thanks,
          Keith

          P.S. I know the second one is often called: "The Bucaneers of Venus."
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2002
            In a message dated 27/10/2002 21:57:38, keithvaughn@... writes:

            << I'll keep an eye out for the McClurg editions. When were they
            published? >>

            Keith --

            PLANET OF PERIL -- A. C. McClurg, 1929
            PRINCE OF PERIL -- A. C. McClurg, 1930
            PORT OF PERIL -- Grandon (an early incarnation of Donald Grant), 1949
            MAZA OF THE MOON -- A. C. McClurg, 1930

            I believe the last two were reprinted from the originals by Ace (though I
            don't have the Ace editions) as the never went through the Avalon butcherings.

            To the best of my knowledge, the Mars stories -- SWORDSMAN and OUTLAWS --
            were never published in book form prior to the Avalon butcherings. I have
            them excerpted from ARGOSY, both during 1931. Again, the Avalon editions
            were chopped, though I don't believe they suffered as severely as PLANET OF
            PERIL and PRINCE OF PERIL.

            JAN OF THE JUNGLE is another one that I believe escaped Avalon's tender
            mercies; therefore the Ace edition should contain the whole text. JAN IN
            INDIA was published by Fictioneer Books Ltd. (David Anthony Kraft, who also
            published the fanzine OAK LEAVES) and I believe it is also unmessed with.
            For TAM, SON OF THE TIGER the only book publication I know about is the
            Avalon, which is probably also cut (though I have nothing to compare it with.)

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 27, 2002
              In a message dated 27/10/2002 21:57:38, keithvaughn@... writes:

              << P.S. I know the second one is often called: "The Bucaneers of Venus." >>

              Keith --

              BUCCANEERS OF VENUS was Kline's original working title. But with Burrooughs'
              PIRATES OF VENUS in hand at the same time, the editors at Argosy apparently
              thought the two titles were too similar and changed Kline's.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 27, 2002
                Otis Adelbert Kline refs in the ERBzin-e Archive:

                Bios and Biblio
                http://www.angelfire.com/trek/erbzine3/erbmot36.html
                Articles and Story
                http://www.angelfire.com/trek/erbzine3/erbmot37.html

[...]