My God, They Did it Right!

  • Richard Pollard
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 9 6:45 PM
      Just got home from the theater....ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I fought back tears as almost everything looked and felt like I had always envisioned it! BRAVO!!!
      ---Rich

    • Richard Pollard
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 9 7:23 PM
        I am astounded! Everything was almost exactly as I had envisioned it (albeit, a good deal too many clothes! LOL!) The charaters were all just about dead-on. The sets were perfect. All around nothing short of excellent in my book!

        To: barsoom@yahoogroups.com
        From: UNIVERSAL1222@...
        Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 19:08:14 -0800
        Subject: [barsoom] John Carter Review...

        Kaor List Memebers,

        Just got back from the theatre, and I am ready to share my reaction to the film. I had to see it in 3d, and well... to be honest, I can now say that "John Carter" was the first movie that I have ever watched in 3d.

        As for the movie itself...It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and the images of Barsoomian landscapes at night were absolutely gorgeous.

        Now I will go to bed with pleasant dreams and I am looking forward to whatever merchandise may follow... T-shirts, action figures, etc. (Could be famous material someday.)

        I am already thinking along the lines of Holloween material, and would love to get my girl a Deja Thoris costume!

        But enough for now..

        What are your views of the film?

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 9 8:52 PM
          --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Richard Pollard <scorpio_burn@...> wrote:

          > Just got home from the theater....ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I fought back tears as almost everything looked and felt like I had always envisioned it! BRAVO!!!
          > ---Rich

          I enjoyed it. I didn't like how they hacked the plot around, and some things served no purpose at all (why was Zodanga a mobile city? Why are white apes blind?), but where it stuck to the book it was great. I did wonder this morning if I was filling in holes in the film with my knowledge of the book, though - I wonder how someone unfamiliar with John Carter would see things?
        • hksingh1@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 9 10:50 PM
            I just say the Movie and will see it again and its sequels without a shadow of a doubt . Not the ERB story word for word, but very good none the less .

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 10 12:00 PM
              It definitely sets up for sequels, but I'm not sure if there will be sequels.   At this point, I'd say 50/50.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 10 1:14 PM

                (Spoiler Warning! For Those who still have not seen the movie yet!)

                Well there is strong hints of a sequel. Remember the presence of Therns disguised as earthmen? Something tells me Disney will do a sequel or a few, like they did with the Pirates of the Carribean saga. If they don't do a sequel... that is all right with me. Sequels usually don't overtake the greatness of the first movie that came before them.

                 I liked how the John Carter movie began. The introduction with "Mars...You think you know it...": explains to somebody unfamiliar with the book series as to what Mars/Barsoom really is.

                 I was very pleased also at how the movie ended.

                John Carter in his tomb, chanting the magic words, and then Deja Thoris concluding with the word "Barsoom" and then we see the rush of space and the red planet at the center of the screen was such a dramatic ending that it was hard for me not hold back a tear, and that doesn't happen often.

                 The spirit of ERB was surely present with the makers and participants of this film.

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 10 1:44 PM
                  I just got back from seeing it myself. I am very impressed with what has been done. Yes, they did hack the plot around quite a bit, but even so, I really liked it. Movies from books are difficult to do right, there's always things to leave out or alter to fit what can be done on screen in a sensible timescale.

                  I wasn't so keen on Lynn Collins - she didn't seem exotic enough for me. Or red enough, although from certain angles, she was somewhere near incomparable. I just loved the bit where JC was learning to walk on Barsoom - classic. Also the reworking of the end bit. It's a bit of a shame JC's skill as a swordsman did not come across much.

                  Those Therns have been made very much more interesting than the original. I got the point they might have come from somewhere else entirely.

                  Great job.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 10 3:14 PM
                    >I wasn't so keen on Lynn Collins - she didn't seem exotic enough for me. Or red enough, although from certain angles, she was somewhere near incomparable.

                    Well, give her a break.  She was fighting a co-star who was better looking than she was.

                  • Michael Taylor
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 12 10:27 AM
                      > Now I will go to bed with pleasant dreams and I am looking forward to whatever merchandise may follow... T-shirts, action figures, etc. (Could be famous material someday.)

                      Unforutnately, from what I understand, Disney decided that there are to be no mass-market toys for John Cart. :****(

                    • Michael Taylor
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 12 10:41 AM
                        > What are your views of the film?

                        I thought it was wonderful.

                        I could quibble about some of the 'disney-fications'. Woola was too qute, but the decision was understandable. I think red-blood would have been much cooler visually than blue blood, but again, I understand the decision. They're both stupid decisions, but I understand them.

                        But that's like quibbling over whether or not power suits are in Starship Troopers.

                        All in all, a wonderful effort, excellently done.

                      • Richard Pollard
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 12 4:14 PM
                          Oh man....I was really hoping to buy thark figures....and my wife really wanted a woola.....

                          To: barsoom@yahoogroups.com
                          From: michaeltaylor1329@...
                          Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:27:23 +0000
                          Subject: [barsoom] Re: John Carter Review...

                          > Now I will go to bed with pleasant dreams and I am looking forward to whatever merchandise may follow... T-shirts, action figures, etc. (Could be famous material someday.)

                          Unforutnately, from what I understand, Disney decided that there are to be no mass-market toys for John Cart. :****(

                        • Darren Bulmer
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 12 4:19 PM
                            That really sucks. It’s like disney don’t want it to succeed on any level.

                            Oh man....I was really hoping to buy thark figures....and my wife really wanted a woola.....

                            To: mailto:barsoom%40yahoogroups.com
                            From: mailto:michaeltaylor1329%40hotmail.com
                            Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:27:23 +0000

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 13 11:08 AM
                              > That really sucks. Its like disney dont want it to succeed on any level.

                              That's funny - I was thinking the same thing about this group! ;)

                            • Russell Viers
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 13 4:35 PM

                                 Well I recall seeing something a while back in the ERBzine about what appears to be a Deja Thoris action figure? I could be wrong however. And wasn't there a toy line made for for a Tarzan TV show? I remember seeing also, a model of a Horib.

                                >Unforutnately, from what I understand, Disney decided that there are to be no mass-market toys for John Cart. :****(

                                 I guess its a good thing that they will not mass produce materialistic merchandise, as this may encourage young kids to actually read the books.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 13 5:31 PM
                                  I'm amazed by the deafening silence.   This should be Barsoom central, but there's barely any activity.