Re: Map of Barsoom

  • uni_games
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 21, 2012
      Darren Bulmer wrote:

      > I didn't bother trying to reconcile Burroughs with NASA, as I really don't see ERBS Barsoom as really being our Mars at all. I just took what I could from the novels and from reference books and went from there.

      Fair enough; my contention is that since Burroughs based Barsoom on Lowell's Mars, and Lowell's Mars was based on his observations of the real Mars, it's possible to figure out how to align Burroughs with Lowell and Lowell with NASA, thus reconciling Burroughs with NASA. I think the result is pretty indisputable, though I'd love to hear critiques from anyone who thinks it isn't.

      For gaming purposes, I also find it extremely useful to be able to use NASA's elevation maps of Mars to fill in the vast blank spaces between Burroughs' Barsoomian cities with real geography.

      -Jeff Dee
      UNIgames

      > -Jeff Dee
      >
      > Darren Bulmer wrote:
      > >
      > > The map was attached. Don’t know what happened to it
      > >
      > > Darren
      > >
      > > From: jhuckenp@
      > >
      > > So where is the map? I don't see how we can comment until we see it.
      > >
      > > mancerbear%40hotmail.com writes:
      > >
      > > > I’m running a role play game set on Barsoom, and I took the time to work
      > > > on a map for the players. It turned out well, so I thought I’d share it
      > > > with everyone here. You’ll notice there are no canals on the map. I decided to
      > > > avoid them as ERB was a bit vague as to where they were located except for
      > > > the ones near Helium. Anyway, I’m open to opinions and feedback.
    • Balthasar
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 30, 2012
        --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...>
        wrote:

        > sarcasm?
        > Ok, I can appreciate that<g>

        Oop. No sarcasm intended, sir. My apologies for the implication - it
        was a bit of an over-the-top outburst. I was just that, after spending
        months putting the big version of your map together, then trying to
        duplicate it in an entirely different medium, that you would be here to
        look at it kinda blew me away for a minute. I appreciate your giving
        it your attention, truly.

        As for the 'world's expert' designation, tell me - who else in the world
        has posted such intricately detailed maps of Barsoom anywhere? Not to
        belittle Den Valron's or anyone else's work, mind you, much of which is
        as familiar to me as to anyone (hi Den, nice to meet you); but no one
        else has posted online anywhere near the map-work you have, you must
        admit. ergo: expert.

        So whether you consider yourself an expert, or just a nimble
        Cartographer, I'm truly glad to have your eyes on my work, and am
        humbled by it. honestly.

        Sorry that the size of my map has challenged your 'puter. The original
        of it is even larger-sized - apparently to large for ImageShack,
        however, and that one was 1/4 the size of the map that the players will
        get to play on. So yeah, Civ III maps are huge - all the better for
        games that last for weeks and weeks!

        As to the size of your map, I downloaded the pieces and assembled them
        without resizing on my computer, so if there's a larger-sized one out
        there somewhere, I missed it, and would explain why I couldn't read it
        especially well. It appears we both prefer large canvases. The
        re-assembled version of your map that I used for reference is posted at:
        http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7845/barsoommapbyrick.jpg
        <http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7845/barsoommapbyrick.jpg>

        Warning, that map is also HUGE.