Re: Map of Barsoom

  • uni_games
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 21, 2012
      Thanks for the correction, Randy!

      -Jeff Dee
      UNIgames

      Randy Harmelink wrote:

      > The "f1.grp..." URL is just a temporary one that Yahoo creates. Why, I have
      > no idea.
      >
      > The actual URL would be:

      > On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:53 PM, uni_games <unigames@...> wrote:
      >
      > > If you're interested in taking advantage of NASA's topographic data...
    • Balthasar
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 30, 2012
        --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...>
        wrote:

        > sarcasm?
        > Ok, I can appreciate that<g>

        Oop. No sarcasm intended, sir. My apologies for the implication - it
        was a bit of an over-the-top outburst. I was just that, after spending
        months putting the big version of your map together, then trying to
        duplicate it in an entirely different medium, that you would be here to
        look at it kinda blew me away for a minute. I appreciate your giving
        it your attention, truly.

        As for the 'world's expert' designation, tell me - who else in the world
        has posted such intricately detailed maps of Barsoom anywhere? Not to
        belittle Den Valron's or anyone else's work, mind you, much of which is
        as familiar to me as to anyone (hi Den, nice to meet you); but no one
        else has posted online anywhere near the map-work you have, you must
        admit. ergo: expert.

        So whether you consider yourself an expert, or just a nimble
        Cartographer, I'm truly glad to have your eyes on my work, and am
        humbled by it. honestly.

        Sorry that the size of my map has challenged your 'puter. The original
        of it is even larger-sized - apparently to large for ImageShack,
        however, and that one was 1/4 the size of the map that the players will
        get to play on. So yeah, Civ III maps are huge - all the better for
        games that last for weeks and weeks!

        As to the size of your map, I downloaded the pieces and assembled them
        without resizing on my computer, so if there's a larger-sized one out
        there somewhere, I missed it, and would explain why I couldn't read it
        especially well. It appears we both prefer large canvases. The
        re-assembled version of your map that I used for reference is posted at:
        http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7845/barsoommapbyrick.jpg
        <http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7845/barsoommapbyrick.jpg>

        Warning, that map is also HUGE.