ERBzine John Carter Film News Update

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 24, 2011
      The ERBzine John Carter Film News site:
      http://www.cartermovie.com

      Features hundreds of JC screen captures across 9 photo galleries,
      and links to Michael Giachinno's film score
      and to the various film trailers released, so far.

      The latest trailer, ORIGINS OF JOHN CARTER Trailer from Japan is on our server at:
      http://www.cartermovie.com/av/JohnCarterOriginsJapan.mp4

      Also featured is new film-inspired art by Paul Privitera.

      Part of this year's Christmas Greetings:
      http://www.ERBzine.com/xmas
      http://www.hillmanweb.com/xmas

      also features Mars art. . . with a difference : )
      by Mike Hoffman, Milan Fibiger, and Thomas Yeates:
      See:
      http://www.hillmanweb.com/xmas/artall6a.jpg

      Wishing you all the best in this Christmas season and for 2012
      Bill and Sue-On
      http://www.ERBzine.com

    • sailor.barsoom
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2011
        Oh great. It looks like JC has a dead wife and a dead
        daughter. I guess a dead mining budding buddy isn't enough
        in 2012. It was enough in 1912, but a hundred years of
        inflation has nixed that.
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2011
          it's the whole tragic hero thing.

          It isn't enough that Red Sonja wanted off the farm and see the world,
          noooooooo, they had to have her raped and her family murdered so she could
          spend her life in vengeance.

          Conan, according to Howard, was just some barbarian who wanted to see the
          world... but noooo, the movies had to murder his family and send him on a
          quest for revenge.

          So, since John Carter was just sent to Mars by accident in the novels, the
          must<sarcasm> somehow make him a tragic figure.
          ... will they reveal that his family was killed buy some mad scientist who
          escaped to Barsoom, thus forcing JC to follow in a quest for revenge????
          Good grief! are we that pitiful a people today?

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2011
            At some point it moves from the point of being shocking, past the point of being cliche to the point of being really pathetic.

            It's like that wonderful scene in just about every action movie where the villain establishes that he's a real bad guy by shooting his own henchman.   The first time, it was shocking and really drove the point home that this was a really bad guy, then it became a cliche, and now every time it happens, I wonder why people are working for this dickhead.

            A tragic history used to be poignant and heart wrenching.  Then its a cliche.  Now, every time I see it, I find myself pitying whoever runs across this near psychotic emotional cripple.

            It isn't enough that Red Sonja wanted off the farm and see the world,
            noooooooo, they had to have her raped and her family murdered so she could
            spend her life in vengeance.

            Conan, according to Howard, was just some barbarian who wanted to see the
            world... but noooo, the movies had to murder his family and send him on a
            quest for revenge.

            So, since John Carter was just sent to Mars by accident in the novels, the
            must<sarcasm> somehow make him a tragic figure.
            ... will they reveal that his family was killed buy some mad scientist who
            escaped to Barsoom, thus forcing JC to follow in a quest for revenge????
            Good grief!  are we that pitiful a people today?

            On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 6:17 PM, sailor.barsoom <sailorbarsoom@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Oh great. It looks like JC has a dead wife and a dead
            > daughter. I guess a dead mining budding buddy isn't enough
            > in 2012. It was enough in 1912, but a hundred years of
            > inflation has nixed that.

          • sailor.barsoom
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2011
              --- In barsoom, Den Valdron wrote:

              > At some point it moves from the point of being shocking, past the
              point of being cliche to the
              > point of being really pathetic.
              >
              > It's like that wonderful scene in just about every action movie where
              the villain establishes that
              > he's a real bad guy by shooting his own henchman. The first time, it
              was shocking and really
              > drove the point home that this was a really bad guy, then it became a
              cliche, and now every
              > time it happens, I wonder why people are working for this dickhead.
              >
              > A tragic history used to be poignant and heart wrenching. Then its a
              cliche. Now, every time I
              > see it, I find myself pitying whoever runs across this near psychotic
              emotional cripple.

              In The Mask of Zorro, Don Diego witnesses the murder of his wife and the
              kidnapping of his infant daughter. I guess "for justice" isn't enough
              for a hero to fight for anymore.

              In the lasted version of The Time Machine, the time traveler has a dead
              girlfriend as his motivation for time travel. Scientific curiosity?
              Not good enough, at least not anymore.