ERBzine: Xmas Greetings | JC in Funnies 45 | Crabbe at the Natatorium | Fantastic Worlds Fanzine 5 | Bohl Tarzan Update | Maxon: City of Gold | Barry: Fires of Tohr | Gold Key 156

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2011
      Bill Hillman's ERBzine
      A Weekly Online Edgar Rice Burroughs Tribute Zine
      A new edition each Friday at:
      http://www.ERBzine.com/mag
      Complete 2011 Archive at:
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag/2011.html
      This Week's Abbreviated e-Mail Contents for
      December 23-29, 2011

      Christmas Greetings from Bill and Sue-On
      (Sketch art by Mike Hoffman, Milan Fibiger, and Thomas Yeates
      http://www.hillmanweb.com/xmas/artall6a.jpg
      Greetings from the ERB Family On The Web
      http://www.ERBzine.com/xmas
      Christmas Greetings from the Hillman Family
      http://www.hillmanweb.com/xmas

      =========================
      Feature 1 ERBzine 3723
      =========================
      THE FUNNIES COMICS
      John Carter's first appearance in comic format was in The Funnies
      This Week: Part IV: Issue 45
      Art by John Coleman Burroughs
      Scans from the Michael Tierney Collection
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag37/3723.html

      =========================
      Feature 2: ERBzine 3648
      =========================
      The Verdun Natatorium
      Our Tarzan Connections Make a Splash From the Past
      by Rohinton Ghandhi
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag36/3648.html

      ========================
      Feature 3: ERBzine 3691
      ========================
      The Fantastic Worlds of ERB No. 5 : 1977/78
      Archive: 28 pages of the UK's acclaimed fanzine
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag36/3691.html

      ================================
      Feature 4: ERBzine 3565
      Al Bohl's December 2011 Update
      A SPECIAL APPEAL TO TARZAN COLLECTORS
      Be a Part of The Morgan City, LA, Tarzan Festival
      APRIL 12-14, 2012
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag35/3565.html
      For all of Al's Behind-The-Scenes Reports on his Tarzan Documentary and Festival
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag31/3110.html

      ================================
      Feature 5: ERBzine 3442
      ================================
      Tarzan and the Fires of Tohr
      Art: Dan Barry ~ Continuity: Rob Thompson
      CONTENTS
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag34/3434.html
      Strips 72-86
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag34/3442.html

      =================================
      Feature 6: ERBzine 3443
      ================================
      Tarzan and the Fires of Tohr
      Art: Dan Barry ~ Continuity: Rob Thompson
      Strips 87-101
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag34/3443.html

      =====================
      Feature 7: ERBzine 3759
      =====================
      Tarzan and the City of Gold
      Intro and Contents
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag37/3750.html
      150 1934 Strips: Art by Rex Maxon ~ Continuity by R.W. Palmer / Don Garden
      Strips 73-81
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag37/3759.html

      ======================
      Feature 8: ERBzine 3760
      ======================
      Tarzan and the City of Gold
      Strips 82-90
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag37/3760.html

      ======================
      Feature 9: ERBzine 2596
      ======================
      Tarzan Gold Key Comics Nos 132+
      Also 2595: Tarzan Dells 100-131 and John Carter
      Also 2395: DELL TARZAN COMICS INTRO & CONTENTS: 1-100
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag25/2596.html

      ======================
      Feature 10: ERBzine 2556
      ======================
      Gold Key Tarzan Comic No. 156
      THE RETURN OF TARZAN
      Russ Manning
      Pages 1-18
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag25/2556.html

      ======================
      Feature 11: ERBzine 2556a
      ======================
      Gold Key Tarzan Comic No. 156
      Pages 19-36
      http://www.erbzine.com/mag25/2556a.html

      ===================================
      FEATURE 12-18 Updates
      ===================================
      http://www.ERBzine.com/news
      http://www.cartermovie.com
      http://www.ERBzine.com/swag
      http://www.tarzan.com/emporium
      http://www.tarzan.com/tarzine
      http://www.DantonBurroughs.com/dan
      http://www.johncolemanburroughs.com/mag
      ====================================
      Bill Hillman
      Editor and Webmaster for the
      Official Edgar Rice Burroughs Websites & Webzines
      http://www.erbzine.com
      http://www.tarzan.com
      http://www.tarzan.org
      http://www.barsoom.com
      http://www.pellucidar.org
      http://www.cartermovie.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
        Hi everyone,

        I just managed to get my hands on an English translation of Gustave La Rouge's 'Prisoner of Mars' and its sequel, published in France around 1908, just a few years before  Burroughs.  The translation is by Brian Stableford.  It's available at Black Coat Press.

        Anyway, I found this fascinating description of a Martian creature:

        "He found himself facing a hideous monster, long but thickset, with six very short legs that terminated in long curved red claws, which seemed to Robert to be expressly designed for digging. The animal, coarsely but precisely depicted, seemed to combine insectile, reptilian and mole-like characteristics. The face, red-brown like the rest of the body, had no trace of eyes, but the teeth were numerous, protruding from the mouth like the tusks of a wild boar. The snout was elongated into a trunk and terminated in a very hard nail which must have made the ani-mal’s approach very fearful."

      • Jim Clunie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2012
          Very interesting. I can't help wondering how that last sentence reads in
          the original - is he describing a rhinoceros-like (or rhino
          beetle-like) horn?

          Jim