Re: [barsoom] Book

  • Phil Normand
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
      Wikipedia has a list of the Birnbaum stories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maureen_Birnbaum,_Barbarian_Swordsperson with two mentioned that aren't in the collection.

      As to the Kaldanes being Wells' Martians, maybe they were a mutant giant version. Effinger calls them "sarmaks" and has a character say: ". . .those kaldanes are to the sarmaks as your mate's pet sorak is to the magnificent hunting banth of the dead sea bottoms."

      Phil

      On Nov 1, 2011, at 9:18 AM, richard johnson wrote:

      > on the original topic, Den Valdron wrote a paper that suggests that the
      > martians from WotW were Kaldanes! It's a stretch but interesting to
      > consider.

      Phil Normand
      phil@...
      http://www.recoverings.com

      Replica dust jackets for the collector
    • mcreek25@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
        That's it, thanks Phil. My wife had it and was just finishing it up, so I
        could not look it up! She liked it too.

        Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek
        bunkermeister.blogspot.com
        sgtsays.blogspot.com
        hystericalrightwing.blogspot.com

        In a message dated 11/1/2011 7:17:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        phil@... writes:

        The book is: "War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches," Kevin J. Anderson,
        ed., Bantam Books, 1996. There is probably a trade paper or mass paperback
        edition.

        The Barsoom story is by George Alec Effinger and is entitled: "Mars: The
        Home Front."

        The collection contains stories about the Martian Invasion from the
        perspective of various writers of the period as interpreted by contemporary
        writers. Stories range from Emily Dickinson (Connie Willis), H.P. Lovecraft (Don
        Webb), Teddy Roosevelt (Mike Resnick), Henry James (Robert Silverberg) to
        Jules Verne (Gregory Benford and David Brin) and Jack London (Dave
        Wolverton).

        It's a great read and lots of fun picking up on the various literary
        styles. I thought the Burroughs story was very well written and wish that
        Effinger could have done a few more Barsoomian pastiches before he died.

        Phil

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
          In a message dated 1/11/11 10:57:47, dgvaldron@... writes:

          > There are a few stories that crossover Wells and Burroughs Martians.
          > Notably, the 2nd volume of Alan Moore's 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'
          > and Larry Niven's 'Rainbow Mars'

          And don't forget A. Bertram Chandler's THE ALTERNATE MARTIANS.