Re: [barsoom] Book

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
      There are a few stories that crossover Wells and Burroughs Martians.  Notably, the 2nd volume of Alan Moore's 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' and Larry Niven's 'Rainbow Mars'

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
        Wikipedia has a list of the Birnbaum stories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maureen_Birnbaum,_Barbarian_Swordsperson with two mentioned that aren't in the collection.

        As to the Kaldanes being Wells' Martians, maybe they were a mutant giant version. Effinger calls them "sarmaks" and has a character say: ". . .those kaldanes are to the sarmaks as your mate's pet sorak is to the magnificent hunting banth of the dead sea bottoms."

        Phil

        On Nov 1, 2011, at 9:18 AM, richard johnson wrote:

        > on the original topic, Den Valdron wrote a paper that suggests that the
        > martians from WotW were Kaldanes! It's a stretch but interesting to
        > consider.

        Phil Normand
        phil@...
        http://www.recoverings.com

        Replica dust jackets for the collector
      • mcreek25@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
          That's it, thanks Phil. My wife had it and was just finishing it up, so I
          could not look it up! She liked it too.

          Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek
          bunkermeister.blogspot.com
          sgtsays.blogspot.com
          hystericalrightwing.blogspot.com

          In a message dated 11/1/2011 7:17:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          phil@... writes:

          The book is: "War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches," Kevin J. Anderson,
          ed., Bantam Books, 1996. There is probably a trade paper or mass paperback
          edition.

          The Barsoom story is by George Alec Effinger and is entitled: "Mars: The
          Home Front."

          The collection contains stories about the Martian Invasion from the
          perspective of various writers of the period as interpreted by contemporary
          writers. Stories range from Emily Dickinson (Connie Willis), H.P. Lovecraft (Don
          Webb), Teddy Roosevelt (Mike Resnick), Henry James (Robert Silverberg) to
          Jules Verne (Gregory Benford and David Brin) and Jack London (Dave
          Wolverton).

          It's a great read and lots of fun picking up on the various literary
          styles. I thought the Burroughs story was very well written and wish that
          Effinger could have done a few more Barsoomian pastiches before he died.

          Phil

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
            In a message dated 1/11/11 10:57:47, dgvaldron@... writes:

            > There are a few stories that crossover Wells and Burroughs Martians.
            > Notably, the 2nd volume of Alan Moore's 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'
            > and Larry Niven's 'Rainbow Mars'

            And don't forget A. Bertram Chandler's THE ALTERNATE MARTIANS.