Ruining a good adventure

  • DukedAuerstadt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2002
      Another thought occurred to me.

      Suppose the land of the black dator's is hell. Consider the following:

      1. JC and company descend into it.
      2. The inhabitants are dark and crafty looking
      3. Between the "heaven" of the Therns and the "hell" of the dators is a
      village in "limbo"
      4. It is somewhere here that ERB makes the observation about Dante's Inferno.
      5. Ruled by a hideous demon.
      6. The Isle of Shador -- a lot like the "Shadow" -- representative of death
      and hell.
      7. Chapter title -- When all Hell broke loose.

      Just a few more observation.

      I don't think these observations ruin a good adventure -- they just explore
      possibilities.

      Coram Nobis
    • Bruce Bozarth
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 18, 2002
        DukedAuerstadt@... wrote:

        > Suppose the land of the black dator's is hell. Consider the following:
        >
        > 1. JC and company descend into it.

        Is Hell down or up?

        > 2. The inhabitants are dark and crafty looking

        Sounds like good merchants. Know a lot of dark people.

        > 3. Between the "heaven" of the Therns and the "hell" of the dators is a
        > village in "limbo"

        Is Thern ever specified as "heaven" (as opposed to the Valley Dor which
        is specified in that term) and "hell" is the unknown by anyone but
        appears to be the secret black community, and the Village of Lost Souls
        is limbo or just a place where the weak of heart jumped off the River
        Iss. So far, I see no hooks into Christian Myth (Jews don't believe in
        hell).

        > 4. It is somewhere here that ERB makes the observation about Dante's Inferno.

        Yup, a remark on a READER'S perception of an underworld as written by an
        earlier and more widely read author. Sounds like good marketing to me. :)

        > 5. Ruled by a hideous demon.

        Hideous demons are required. Start with Homer and move forward. REH made
        great use of Hideous Demons.

        > 6. The Isle of Shador -- a lot like the "Shadow" -- representative of death
        > and hell.

        How?

        > 7. Chapter title -- When all Hell broke loose.

        Sounds American, not a predition.

        > I don't think these observations ruin a good adventure -- they just explore
        > possibilities.

        Absolutely! Grand adventure, grand fun for us both. We just don't agree
        as to the depth or meaning of ERB's scribbles. Let us not read more into
        his works than he was 35 at the time he started writing, had been a
        manager for Sears, prior to that had worked odd jobs, earlier than that
        had served in the US Army (horse) and prior to that had become a
        professor of geology at the very same military school where he sweated
        over the classic Greek and Latin.

        ERB ain't that damn deep, kiddies. But he did know all the classic tales
        and found new ways to tell the same stories! Bravo for him.

        --

        TANGOR

        Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
        http://erblist.com
        The Official ERB FAQ is at
        http://erblist.com/erbfaq.html