Re: Waterways on Barsoom

  • sailor.barsoom
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
      Xodar tells John Carter and Phaidor that the Sea of Omean
      is larger than Korus, and gets its water from Korus. So
      Korus drains into Omean (which suggests the possibility
      that Korus is a fresh water sea).

      Korus must refill as quickly as it drains, but no faster,
      since the Lost Sea is neither growing nor shrinking.

      However, the Even More Lost Sea does not naturally drain
      as quickly as it fills, because if the pumps are stopped
      the sea grows, and quickly. Omean is naturally much
      larger than it is in JC's time. So the excess water is
      pumped far to the north, olmost to Okar, where it bursts
      forth from the ground. The Red Men use this water for
      their canal-pipes. This suggests that Omean, too, is a
      fresh water sea, thus strengthening the notion that Korus
      is fresh.
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
        Okar???
        They push that water across half the planet?
        It must take years to go that far. I would LOVE tofind a
        hydrologist/geologist who could work that out!

        On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM, sailor.barsoom <sailorbarsoom@...>wrote:

        > Xodar tells John Carter and Phaidor that the Sea of Omean
        > is larger than Korus, and gets its water from Korus. So
        > Korus drains into Omean (which suggests the possibility
        > that Korus is a fresh water sea).
        >
        > Korus must refill as quickly as it drains, but no faster,
        > since the Lost Sea is neither growing nor shrinking.
        >
        > However, the Even More Lost Sea does not naturally drain
        > as quickly as it fills, because if the pumps are stopped
        > the sea grows, and quickly. Omean is naturally much
        > larger than it is in JC's time. So the excess water is
        > pumped far to the north, olmost to Okar, where it bursts
        > forth from the ground. The Red Men use this water for
        > their canal-pipes. This suggests that Omean, too, is a
        > fresh water sea, thus strengthening the notion that Korus
        > is fresh.

        "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
        will soon find that they have neither."

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
          The total distance from one pole to the other is roughly 6,660 miles, give or take.

          Looking at the MOLA topographical maps, it looks like the south pole is topographically one of the highest elevations on the planet. So assuming that we picked a couple of routes properly, we might be going downhill all the way until the north pole.