aaarrrggghhh

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
      I have been working for MONTHS on the Barsoom Vegetation paper.
      35 pages of notes and reference.
      Backed it up on Friday, then Monday I began to work on the paper.
      11 pages of part one done, working on part 2 (3 pages) and...

      SUDDENLY for no reason, it got erased!

      I now have to go back, reread llana of gathol, re-add those references and
      notes,

      THEN try to rewrite the entire paper!

      AARRRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

      "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
      will soon find that they have neither."

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
        On another subject, Rick, you might want to check out Ringo Starr's caveman, which features a seriously overweight T-rex, a pterodactyl, and an unidentifiable reptiloid which seems to be a giant cross between a stegosaurian and a chameleon.

        Sorry to hear about the Barsoom vegetation paper going tits up.

        I'm working on a paper about the Sleestak from Land of the Lost.  Want to read it?

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
          At 09:47 AM 6/3/2010 -0700, Den Valdron wrote:
          >On another subject, Rick, you might want to
          >check out Ringo Starr's caveman, which features
          >a seriously overweight T-rex, a pterodactyl, and
          >an unidentifiable reptiloid which seems to be a
          >giant cross between a stegosaurian and a chameleon.Â

          Caveman is actually a pretty funny movie.

          Ghak
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
            It is, especially if you watch it with the spanish or french language subtitles.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
              I've seen _Caveman_ Nice film, especially as Shelly Long is jealous of the
              other woman's chest<g> and they get the T-Rex stoned.

              When I was stationed in honduras, i watched Star Wars, in German, with
              Korean subtitles.
              I think that they only have one German actor to dubb the lines because it
              sounded like every male in the film had the same voice.

              Of course, after a few beers, it became very entertaining.

              On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Den Valdron <dgvaldron@...> wrote:

              > It is, especially if you watch it with the spanish or french language
              > subtitles.
              >
              > --- On Thu, 6/3/10, Ghak <svwadding@... <svwadding%40comcast.net>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > From: Ghak <svwadding@... <svwadding%40comcast.net>>
              > Subject: Re: [barsoom] aaarrrggghhh
              > To: barsoom@yahoogroups.com <barsoom%40yahoogroups.com>
              >

              > At 09:47 AM 6/3/2010 -0700, Den Valdron wrote:
              >
              > >On another subject, Rick, you might want to
              >
              > >check out Ringo Starr's caveman, which features
              >
              > >a seriously overweight T-rex, a pterodactyl, and
              >
              > >an unidentifiable reptiloid which seems to be a
              >
              > >giant cross between a stegosaurian and a chameleon.�
              >
              > Caveman is actually a pretty funny movie.
              >
              > Ghak

              "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
              will soon find that they have neither."

            • the hugh
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
                  --- In barsoom, Den Valdron wrote:

                  > I'm working on a paper about the Sleestak from Land of
                  > the Lost.  Want to read it?

                  Yes yes yes!

                  Won't be able to until after the con (starts in about nine
                  hours), but I'm a LOTL fan from way back.

                  Sorry about the paper, Rick. I guess the only thing to do
                  is back it up on a flash drive, back it up on a friend's
                  computer, back it up on disk, and back it up beyond that
                  if you can.

                  If'n you can recreate it, I'll be happy to read it.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2010
                    I finished rebuilding the note-base yesterday and rewrote 5 pages so far.

                    part I = mars and the conditions for vegetation
                    Part II = specific plants, what they are, where to find them and why.
                    Part III = ???

                    I am now backing it up 5x a day on my flash-drive, home computer AND work
                    computer!

                    Actually I am happy with how it is turning out.

                    On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:51 PM, sailor.barsoom <sailorbarsoom@...>wrote:

                    > --- In barsoom, Den Valdron wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm working on a paper about the Sleestak from Land of
                    > > the Lost.� Want to read it?
                    >
                    > Yes yes yes!
                    >
                    > Won't be able to until after the con (starts in about nine
                    > hours), but I'm a LOTL fan from way back.
                    >
                    > Sorry about the paper, Rick. I guess the only thing to do
                    > is back it up on a flash drive, back it up on a friend's
                    > computer, back it up on disk, and back it up beyond that
                    > if you can.
                    >
                    > If'n you can recreate it, I'll be happy to read it.

                    "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
                    will soon find that they have neither."

                  • dragoondelight
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 5, 2010
                      Hello Richard, everyone,

                      I apologize as I am lurking till I get time to do a ERB project for another site. I lost three computers in 18 months or so and since I am a member of a Yahoo computer help group. I asked about backup, as I really hated loosing info and will not pay for the offline service.
                      Their solution was an external drive (cheap insurance) and Acronis True Image.

                      External drives are nearly equal to your hard drive. Chances are you will not loose both at the same time.

                      Acronis allows for scheduled backups and for immediate backups.

                      I have been setup for six months with no problems and no worries.

                      P.S. flash drives are neat, but can suffer some damage from external sources. As a long term storage solution it is okay, but you are still trusting a device that can suffer fluke damage, much as the dvd discs do. IMO

                      Apologies for unneedful advice, but I really hate to hear someone has lost unique data.

                      Thanks, Harry.