Return to Pellucidar?

  • steveseg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2010
      I seem to have found the road back to Pellucidar, only it's called "Plutonia." Vladimir Obruchev was influenced by Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth." Though I've just started the book (the crew just entered the Arctic Ocean via the Bering Strait), I have a good feel for what is to come. Pellucidar revisited!

      Steve S.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2010
        let us know as you finish the work.

        also, when was it published?
        where?
        author?
        in Enclish or do we have to read Russian?

        On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM, <steveseg@...> wrote:

        > I seem to have found the road back to Pellucidar, only it's called
        > "Plutonia." Vladimir Obruchev was influenced by Jules Verne's "Journey to
        > the Center of the Earth." Though I've just started the book (the crew just
        > entered the Arctic Ocean via the Bering Strait), I have a good feel for what
        > is to come. Pellucidar revisited!
        >
        > Steve S.

        "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
        will soon find that they have neither."

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2010
          Rick asked:

          also, when was it published?
          here?
          uthor?
          n Enclish or do we have to read Russian?

          Hi Rick!

          My paperback version was published by Raduga (Adventure & Fantasy) Publishers of Moscow. Though it was written in 1924, Raduga lists the First Printing as 1957 with my version being the Second Printing from 1988. It was originalyy written in Russian but Raduga had it translated, by Fainna Solasko.

          The author is Vladmir Obruchev and I purchased this book because Lupoff mentioned it in his "ERB: Master of Adventure" as a Pellucidar-like book.

          Steve S.

          n Enclish or do we have to read Russian?

          On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM, <steveseg@...> wrote:

          I seem to have found the road back to Pellucidar, only it's called
          "Plutonia." Vladimir Obruchev was influenced by Jules Verne's "Journey to
          the Center of the Earth." Though I've just started the book (the crew just
          entered the Arctic Ocean via the Bering Strait), I have a good feel for what
          is to come. Pellucidar revisited!

          Steve S.

          ick Johnson
          ttp://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
          Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
          ill soon find that they have neither."

        • seth
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
            Ya'know, I actually have a nice copy of this book in English with nice line art illustrations, but I have been flumoxed by my own Byzantine filing system and can't find it.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2010
              Amazon has a number of copies lisited, both English and Russion (my Russian
              is too rusty to try the original)
              But all are expensive (to my budget).

              On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 5:14 PM, seth <skdeitch@...> wrote:

              > Ya'know, I actually have a nice copy of this book in English with nice line
              > art illustrations, but I have been flumoxed by my own Byzantine filing
              > system and can't find it.
              >

              > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com <barsoom%40yahoogroups.com>, steveseg@...
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > I seem to have found the road back to Pellucidar, only it's called
              > "Plutonia." Vladimir Obruchev was influenced by Jules Verne's "Journey to
              > the Center of the Earth." Though I've just started the book (the crew just
              > entered the Arctic Ocean via the Bering Strait), I have a good feel for what
              > is to come. Pellucidar revisited!
              > >
              > > Steve S.

              "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
              will soon find that they have neither."

            • Terry Klasek
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 30, 2010
                KAOR!!

                I ordered mine a few hours ago. English version. looking forward to reading it!

                Erich von Harben