3D

  • Brett Harrison
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2000
      Kaor-

      I'm currently working on a prototype of a 3D rpg-style game based on
      Barsoom. Are there any 3D artists on the list interested in helping out with
      3D models, animation, and textures?

      Thanks.
      Brett
    • Jeff Doten
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2000
        Hi Brett,

        I'd be willing to talk to you about some conceptual/design work or
        background art, that kind of thing. I'm a BIG Barsoom nut and thrilled to
        hear you are kicking around a game.

        I'm an illustrator who does SF and Fantasy book covers posters... Presently
        I'm working on a 6 book fantasy series due out this summer, and I just
        finished off artwork for ERB's Moon Maid.

        Being who I am I have a sketch book full of Barsoom stuff. One of my
        personal projects this year is some Princess of Mars storyboarding and
        perhaps some animation if time permits. Another is a Princess Movie poster
        just for kicks.

        Go check out my site attached below, there is a painting of Thuvia in the
        Fantasy Gallery and you'll find a link to the Moon Maid stuff on the main
        page. If you're interested I can let you see the finished Moon Maid painting
        which isn't up there yet.

        I'll list my site here since I'm not sure the list will accept signatures -
        ________________________________
        Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio
        http://www.cadvision.com/dotenj/studio.htm
        ________________________________

        I look foreward to hearing from you - Jeff
        ________________________________
        Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio
        http://www.cadvision.com/dotenj/studio.htm
        ________________________________
      • Fredrik Ekman
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 14, 2000
          On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Brett Harrison wrote:

          > I'm currently working on a prototype of a 3D rpg-style game based on
          > Barsoom.

          This sounds extremely interesting! Tell us more: Will it be based on any
          of the books or will it feature an original story-line? Does it have a
          working title? Is it under license from Burroughs, Inc. or a fan project?
          When do you hope to have a working beta?

          /F
        • Brett Harrison
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14, 2000
            Well I guess it's not fair to peak your interest and not give any details.
            So here's some.

            The current working title is Barsoom. Not currently under license from
            Burroughs, Inc. We will go after the license once the prototype-phase is
            done and most of the design is completed. (Have to make sure it's viable and
            figure out all the variable parts of the license needed before we bother
            them)

            It will be based on all the books. Will feature it's own story-lines.
            Changes and additions to the world will be made for gameplay (new monsters
            created that were not seen in the books, new cities, etc.)

            Current ideas:
            Takes place a couple thousand years or so before John Carter's arrival.
            Every major local visited in the books will be included.
            All major races in the books will be playable races in the game. ie: Green,
            Red, Yellow, Black, Kaldane, plus a few more.
            Each race will have specific classes available to them, most common of
            course being a warrior to possibly the most bizarre being an illusionist
            (i'll let you figure out what race that would be :) )
            Airships will be included.

            A working beta is along ways off. Hope to have a small prototype demo
            working by early summer. Most likely a Valley of Dor, or Valley of Bantoom
            area. The majority of this timelime depends on getting the 3D models done. I
            don't have the skill to do a 3D plantman. I will if I have to, it just won't
            look that good :)

            Once the proto is done, I'll let Barsoom fans check it out, hopefully the
            reaction will be good.
            Remember, all the above is just the beginnings of design, nothing is set in
            stone and much is likely to change.

            Will keep you posted.
            Brett