Re: Another site with Princess Movie info

  • Xenophile
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 14, 2002
      --- In barsoom, "mehaffey" wrote:

      > I'm going to state some heresy.

      Don't worry. We take it pretty easy on heretics since a certain
      Jasoomian showed us how hunting them down could make us look pretty
      silly.

      > I hope that they never make a movie of Princess of Mars.

      I think I once referred to this as "that movie we all both hope for
      and dread."

      <snip>

      > I admit that Lord of the Rings was done well, and remained largely
      > faithful to the book,

      And even so, they left out Tom bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo.

      > but I can't imagine them handling a red-blooded adventure novel
      > like Princess without ruining it with hokey and impossible special
      > effects designed to appeal to sub-teens.

      Hey! Don't sell the sub-teens short!

      <reconsiders>

      Well, perhaps it is that you fear Hollywood boneheads selling sub-
      teens short, rather than that you sell them short yourself.

      > No, I prefer my own imagination, and my own images of John
      > Carter, Dejah Thoris and Barsoom. Once they are poorly done by
      > Hollywood those images are forever compromised.

      Nah. No number of wretched Tarzan movies has spoiled his Lordship
      for me.

      Xenophile (who can think of one thing that will HAVE to be changed)
    • Steve Wadding
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
        At 03:09 PM 9/14/02 -0400, Marty Grant wrote:
        >In my view, all the Tarzan movies were terrible, with the exception of the
        >most recent (staring Casper Van Diem and Jane March) which was very true
        >to the books, but at the same time was critically panned (though I could
        >care less what the "critics" think about anything).

        "George of the Jungle" was a pretty good Tarzan movie.

        Ghak
      • Jeff Doten
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
          > Xenophile (who can think of one thing that will HAVE to be changed)

          Hey Xeno and what would that be ?

          I know that I'd change a few things given the chance to polish the book a
          little. And of course, movies and books are not the same thing at all. I
          guess as an illustrator rather easy going about differing visions of the
          same thing. I can't help but interpret the author's words through my own
          filters.

          When I was doing a ton of work on designing green martians ( if you guy's
          haven't seen them, check out my Barsoom Gallery as part of my web listed
          below ) I am pretty sure that ERB meant his green martians to basically a
          tall man with four arms, despite what he says about them walking on all
          fours. That is never mentioned again. I HAD to rebuild the torso into some
          thing more alien as I have a background in zoology.

          So that's an example of what I would change from the text. But of course I'd
          leave Deja Thoris fully nude. That would make a great McDonalds toy. - Jeff
          the Jasoomian Primate

          --
          Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus project
          http://ww.jeffdoten.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
            On 9/15/2002 at 12:48 PM Jeff Doten wrote:

            >So that's an example of what I would change from the text. But of course
            >I'd
            >leave Deja Thoris fully nude. That would make a great McDonalds toy.

            Then definitely, Jennifer Connelly.

            Guy

            Galactic Overlord. Drama Critic. Swear fealty to Torgon at http://www.cafepress.com/torgonthrone/ . Torgon has spoken.
          • Xenophile
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
              --- In barsoom, Jeff Doten wrote:

              >> Xenophile (who can think of one thing that will HAVE to be
              >> changed)

              > Hey Xeno and what would that be ?

              The two extra colors. There's just no way to show that on screen.

              > I know that I'd change a few things given the chance to polish the
              > book a little. And of course, movies and books are not the same
              > thing at all.

              Abskolutly. In particular, *first person* books are different.

              > I guess as an illustrator rather easy going about differing
              > visions of the same thing. I can't help but interpret the author's
              > words through my own filters.

              I once said to another fan that if she and I were each dropped into
              Hollywood with $100 million and godlike authority, we would each
              make the ultimate John Carter movie, but they would be different.
              What a zitadar looks like, the gait used by thoats, even the details
              of JC's swordsmanship.

              > When I was doing a ton of work on designing green martians ( if
              > you guy's haven't seen them, check out my Barsoom Gallery as part
              > of my web listed below ) I am pretty sure that ERB meant his green
              > martians to basically a tall man with four arms, despite what he
              > says about them walking on all fours. That is never mentioned
              > again. I HAD to rebuild the torso into some thing more alien as I
              > have a background in zoology.

              I STILL think you've got the coolest Greens I've ever seen. I STILL
              don't if they would work as quadrupeds. Why don't you lobby
              Paramount to hire you, and I can find out for the cost fo a ticket.

              > So that's an example of what I would change from the text. But of
              > course I'd leave Deja Thoris fully nude. That would make a great
              > McDonalds toy. - Jeff the Jasoomian Primate

              If they leave in some of the more gory stuff (like the tusk in the
              groin... OUCH!), this movie will have an R rating anyway, so why not
              nekkid wimmin?

              Xenophile the... Something