(no subject)

  • ggrasso06@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 11, 2002
      dear members, carter has close-cropped hair , if the movie ever comes off ,
      do members think carter will have short hair or will he have the popular long
      hair of the comics and some paperback covers? getting a good actor,[
      handsome, 6 foot 2 inches , good build , and good acting ability] is not
      going to be easy !----i really hope they do not mess this up ----they already
      destroyed doc savage on me---ralph

    • keithbvaughn
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 11, 2002
        Hi Ralph,

        Remember many of the images are from the 70's and longer hair was all
        the rage then, shorter haircuts are in now so I'd say short hair has
        a good chance of seeing daylight in the movie.

        Keith

        comes off, do members think carter will have short hair or will he
        have the popular long hair of the comics and some paperback covers?
        getting a good actor, handsome, 6 foot 2 inches , good build , and
        good acting ability] is not going to be easy !----i really hope they
        do not mess this up ----they already destroyed doc savage on me---
        ralph
      • T. Lynch
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 11, 2002
          As an avid ERB reader for over 20 years, naturally I
          was excited to see someone mention a John Carter
          movie. Is there any validity to this or is it just
          hopeful rumors????

          --- keithbvaughn <keithvaughn@...> wrote:
          > Hi Ralph,
          >
          > Remember many of the images are from the 70's and
          > longer hair was all
          > the rage then, shorter haircuts are in now so I'd
          > say short hair has
          > a good chance of seeing daylight in the movie.
          >
          > Keith

          > the movie ever
          > comes off, do members think carter will have short
          > hair or will he
          > have the popular long hair of the comics and some
          > paperback covers?
          > getting a good actor, handsome, 6 foot 2 inches ,
          > good build , and
          > good acting ability] is not going to be easy !----i
          > really hope they
          > do not mess this up ----they already destroyed doc
          > savage on me---
          > ralph

          =====
          "Integrity is one of several paths, it distinguishes itself from the others because it is the right path, and the only one upon which you will never get lost" M.H. McKee

          Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
          http://news.yahoo.com
        • Xenophile
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 12, 2002
            --- In barsoom, "T. Lynch" wrote:

            > As an avid ERB reader for over 20 years, naturally I was excited
            > to see someone mention a John Carter movie. Is there any validity
            > to this or is it just hopeful rumors????

            http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=12000
          • Jeff Doten
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 13, 2002
              Coming Atraction is also following the Princess of Mars devlopment -
              http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/aprincessofmars.html

              --
              Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus project
              http://ww.jeffdoten.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 13, 2002
                In a message dated 14/09/2002 01:04:47, dotenj@... writes:

                << http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/aprincessofmars.html >>

                Jeff --

                Thanks for the URL. Bookmarked.

                AQPorter
              • mehaffey
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 14, 2002
                  I'm going to state some heresy. I hope that they never make a movie of Princess of Mars. The thought of heavy-handed, science-illiterate boneheads in Hollywood trying to capture the vivid imagery of ERB is appalling. I admit that Lord of the Rings was done well, and remained largely faithful to the book, but I can't imagine them handling a red-blooded adventure novel like Princess without ruining it with hokey and impossible special effects designed to appeal to sub-teens.

                  No, I prefer my own imagination, and my own images of John Carter, Dejah Thoris and Barsoom. Once they are poorly done by Hollywood those images are forever compromised.

                • Guy Hoyle
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 14, 2002
                    On 9/14/2002 at 12:10 PM mehaffey wrote:

                    >I'm going to state some heresy. I hope that they never make a movie of
                    >Princess of Mars. The thought of heavy-handed, science-illiterate
                    >boneheads in Hollywood trying to capture the vivid imagery of ERB is
                    >appalling.

                    Ummm... so, you want a scientifically accurate depiction of Barsoom, then? ;-)

                    Guy
                    Galactic Overlord. Drama Critic. Swear fealty to Torgon at http://www.cafepress.com/torgonthrone/ . Torgon has spoken.
                  • Marty Grant
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 14, 2002
                      When I heard about the movie, I was both overjoyed and frightened at the same time. I just hope they do a decent job of it. I figure with today's special effects technology they could do a good job.

                      I have to think of the poor track record Hollywood has with other ERB material. In my view, all the Tarzan movies were terrible, with the exception of the most recent (staring Casper Van Diem and Jane March) which was very true to the books, but at the same time was critically panned (though I could care less what the "critics" think about anything).

                      Think of the old movies "At the Earth's Core" and "Land that Time forgot". Those were pretty bad, though better than nothing I guess!

                      Marty Grant (Marvin Grant Jr)
                      e-mail: public@...
                      web: http://www.martygrant.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 14, 2002
                        --- In barsoom, "mehaffey" wrote:

                        > I'm going to state some heresy.

                        Don't worry. We take it pretty easy on heretics since a certain
                        Jasoomian showed us how hunting them down could make us look pretty
                        silly.

                        > I hope that they never make a movie of Princess of Mars.

                        I think I once referred to this as "that movie we all both hope for
                        and dread."

                        <snip>

                        > I admit that Lord of the Rings was done well, and remained largely
                        > faithful to the book,

                        And even so, they left out Tom bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo.

                        > but I can't imagine them handling a red-blooded adventure novel
                        > like Princess without ruining it with hokey and impossible special
                        > effects designed to appeal to sub-teens.

                        Hey! Don't sell the sub-teens short!

                        <reconsiders>

                        Well, perhaps it is that you fear Hollywood boneheads selling sub-
                        teens short, rather than that you sell them short yourself.

                        > No, I prefer my own imagination, and my own images of John
                        > Carter, Dejah Thoris and Barsoom. Once they are poorly done by
                        > Hollywood those images are forever compromised.

                        Nah. No number of wretched Tarzan movies has spoiled his Lordship
                        for me.

                        Xenophile (who can think of one thing that will HAVE to be changed)
                      • Steve Wadding
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
                          At 03:09 PM 9/14/02 -0400, Marty Grant wrote:
                          >In my view, all the Tarzan movies were terrible, with the exception of the
                          >most recent (staring Casper Van Diem and Jane March) which was very true
                          >to the books, but at the same time was critically panned (though I could
                          >care less what the "critics" think about anything).

                          "George of the Jungle" was a pretty good Tarzan movie.

                          Ghak
                        • Jeff Doten
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
                            > Xenophile (who can think of one thing that will HAVE to be changed)

                            Hey Xeno and what would that be ?

                            I know that I'd change a few things given the chance to polish the book a
                            little. And of course, movies and books are not the same thing at all. I
                            guess as an illustrator rather easy going about differing visions of the
                            same thing. I can't help but interpret the author's words through my own
                            filters.

                            When I was doing a ton of work on designing green martians ( if you guy's
                            haven't seen them, check out my Barsoom Gallery as part of my web listed
                            below ) I am pretty sure that ERB meant his green martians to basically a
                            tall man with four arms, despite what he says about them walking on all
                            fours. That is never mentioned again. I HAD to rebuild the torso into some
                            thing more alien as I have a background in zoology.

                            So that's an example of what I would change from the text. But of course I'd
                            leave Deja Thoris fully nude. That would make a great McDonalds toy. - Jeff
                            the Jasoomian Primate

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
                              On 9/15/2002 at 12:48 PM Jeff Doten wrote:

                              >So that's an example of what I would change from the text. But of course
                              >I'd
                              >leave Deja Thoris fully nude. That would make a great McDonalds toy.

                              Then definitely, Jennifer Connelly.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
                                --- In barsoom, Jeff Doten wrote:

                                >> Xenophile (who can think of one thing that will HAVE to be
                                >> changed)

                                > Hey Xeno and what would that be ?

                                The two extra colors. There's just no way to show that on screen.

                                > I know that I'd change a few things given the chance to polish the
                                > book a little. And of course, movies and books are not the same
                                > thing at all.

                                Abskolutly. In particular, *first person* books are different.

                                > I guess as an illustrator rather easy going about differing
                                > visions of the same thing. I can't help but interpret the author's
                                > words through my own filters.

                                I once said to another fan that if she and I were each dropped into
                                Hollywood with $100 million and godlike authority, we would each
                                make the ultimate John Carter movie, but they would be different.
                                What a zitadar looks like, the gait used by thoats, even the details
                                of JC's swordsmanship.

                                > When I was doing a ton of work on designing green martians ( if
                                > you guy's haven't seen them, check out my Barsoom Gallery as part
                                > of my web listed below ) I am pretty sure that ERB meant his green
                                > martians to basically a tall man with four arms, despite what he
                                > says about them walking on all fours. That is never mentioned
                                > again. I HAD to rebuild the torso into some thing more alien as I
                                > have a background in zoology.

                                I STILL think you've got the coolest Greens I've ever seen. I STILL
                                don't if they would work as quadrupeds. Why don't you lobby
                                Paramount to hire you, and I can find out for the cost fo a ticket.

                                > So that's an example of what I would change from the text. But of
                                > course I'd leave Deja Thoris fully nude. That would make a great
                                > McDonalds toy. - Jeff the Jasoomian Primate

                                If they leave in some of the more gory stuff (like the tusk in the
                                groin... OUCH!), this movie will have an R rating anyway, so why not
                                nekkid wimmin?

                                Xenophile the... Something