ERBzine Eclectica: Jet-Propelled Couch

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17 7:07 PM
      The Jet-Propelled Couch:
      true story of a physicist who thought he was a science fiction hero on another planet

      This is the incredible true story of a physicist who believed he could project himself to another solar system and live as a swashbuckling interplanetary adventurer. When he was a teenager and living on a Polynesian island, he had read a series of "strange and adventurous" science fiction / fantasy books by an American writer. The protagonist shared his name, and eventually the physicist started thinking he really was the character. But he was still able to maintain a duel identity -- he sort of "astral projected" into that fantasy world while keeping the appearance of a skinny-tie wearing physicist. The article was written by the man's psychiatrist, Robert Lindner, and appeared in Harper's in 1954. The physicist, "Kirk Allen" (his name was changed by Lindner), worked in a government research lab, and his superiors were concerned by his behavior (Allen would often space out at work while his fantastical reveries played out in his head) so they sent him to Lindner.
      You can read the story in its entirety at Harper's website:
      Part I
      http://www.harpers.org/archive/1954/12/0006789
      Part II
      http://www.harpers.org/archive/1955/01/0006815

      JoN
      http://www.ERBzine.com
      http://www.johncarterofmars.ca
      http://www.tarzan.org

    • sailor.barsoom
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2009
        Hey, I know this was posted some time back. It took me long
        enough, but I'm glad I finally read it. Well, Pt. I at least.
        I'm going to read the rest over the weekend. Right after I
        remember where I left those aerial photographs...

        Thanks for posting.
      • sailor.barsoom
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2009
          --- In barsoom, "sailor.barsoom" wrote:

          > Hey, I know this was posted some time back. It
          > took me long enough, but I'm glad I finally read
          > it. Well, Pt. I at least.
          > I'm going to read the rest over the weekend.
          > Right after I remember where I left those aerial
          > photographs...
          >
          > Thanks for posting.

          And then I did read the rest of it. This would make a
          fine movie in its own right.