G.I. Joe director talks Tarzan remake

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2009
      From
      www.ERBzine.com/news

      G.I. Joe director talks Tarzan remake
      Coventry Telegraph ~ Aug 7, 2009
      http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2009/08/gi-joe-director-talks-sequel-a.html
      With his new action-packed sci-fi flick G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra opening this weekend, director Stephen Sommers already has a sequel in mind. And he's also set to direct a remake of Tarzan, based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' famous ape-man most recently seen on screen in live-action form in 1984's Greystoke (starring Christopher Lambert) and 1999's Tarzan and the Lost City with Caspar van Dien in the lead role.

      "It will be live action but we'll contemporise it. It'll still be a period movie, but it's almost like The Mummy, it took place in Ancient Egypt and the 20s and 30s, but it felt more contemporary, that sort of deal.

      "We'll just stick with the book. What I want to make is our idealised version of a Tarzan movie. Seeing a guy talking to apes didn't work 30 years ago with Greystoke so it won't work now." The remake is being written by G.I. Joe screenwriter Stuart Beattie, who also worked on 30 Days of Night, Australia and the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

      Beattie said, "It's at Warner Brothers. They're deciding how much money... there's like a battle over the budget of that. People do it one way, studio wants it another way and they're just trying to find a middle ground." It could be Sommers' next project if the budget was agreed.

      Explaining his take on the story, he said: "It's a period [story]. Tarzan, I think, is probably the most filmed story of all, so our belief in doing a Tarzan movie today was you couldn't go tell the raised-by-gorillas and loincloths and 'Me Tarzan and You Jane' story because it's been done so much and it's just not interesting anymore. "So it was much more big romantic action-adventure film with supernatural stuff and witch doctors and lots of really fun stuff."

      "And mythic Africa, like that deep dark heart of Africa stuff, you know, where the trees are twice as big and the vines stretched forever and the canopy is a whole world in itself and just really cool-looking place to spend a couple of hours." He said it would be "big, fun summer spectacle" and would be set in 1932 or 1933. More>>>

      This week's ERBzine Weekly Online Fanzine is featured at:
      http://www.ERBzine.com/mag
      Editor and Webmaster for the
      Edgar Rice Burroughs Tribute Websites and Webzines
      http://www.ERBzine.com
      http://www.tarzan.org
      http://www.barsoom.com
      http://www.pellucidar.org