Re: [barsoom] Re: Barsoom/Tarzan crossovers

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2009
      In a message dated 30/6/09 10:31:45, Turbo-ducky@... writes:

      > To ensure accuracy, you should have somdeone who knows both languages.

      And of course if you have someone who knows both languages, you don't need
      the goofy translation program. (And yes, ALL of those I've checked out
      yield goofy translations.) I'm reminded of a story that was making the
      rounds of the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service back when I was an
      undergraduate there. Father Edmund A. Walsh, the school's founder, was
      working with some of the early machine-translation experiments. He put in the
      quote, "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." The machine
      translated it as "The vodka is good but the meat is lousy." Things don't seem to
      have improved a great deal.