rereading gods of mars

  • delicatedanwef1
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2002
      i have not read gods of mars for sometime , starting reading it last
      night . now i know why i enjoyed it at 16, 29 and now 43 years of
      age , it seems i will never out grow it!-----read bio on erb , it
      indicated that he wanted to stop barsoom series after the first three
      [ trilogy] ----if that happened what novel of the barsoom series [
      after three] would members miss the most?-----ralph
    • xenophile2002
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2002
        --- In barsoom, "delicatedanwef1" wrote:

        > i have not read gods of mars for sometime , starting reading it
        > last night . now i know why i enjoyed it at 16, 29 and now 43
        > years of age , it seems i will never out grow it!

        Right on! I reread it in January, and if I ever outgrow this book,
        somebody please shoot me.

        > -----read bio on erb , it indicated that he wanted to stop barsoom
        > series after the first three [ trilogy]

        These are the best, and form a complete story.

        > ----if that happened what novel of the barsoom series [ after
        > three] would members miss the most?-----ralph

        Chessmen. I actually like jetan, and kaldanes are creepy-cool. And
        perhaps Fighting Man, because I need to be able to shout "Tavia!"

        Xenophile ("Tavia!")
      • Guy Hoyle
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2002
          "Chessmen" and "swords" are the two I've most recently re-enjoyed, after the trilogy.

          Guy

          On 9/8/2002 at 5:13 PM xenophile2002 wrote:

          >--- In barsoom, "delicatedanwef1" wrote:
          >
          >> i have not read gods of mars for sometime , starting reading it
          >> last night . now i know why i enjoyed it at 16, 29 and now 43
          >> years of age , it seems i will never out grow it!
          >
          >Right on! I reread it in January, and if I ever outgrow this book,
          >somebody please shoot me.
          >
          >> -----read bio on erb , it indicated that he wanted to stop barsoom
          >> series after the first three [ trilogy]
          >
          >These are the best, and form a complete story.
          >
          >> ----if that happened what novel of the barsoom series [ after
          >> three] would members miss the most?-----ralph
          >
          >Chessmen. I actually like jetan, and kaldanes are creepy-cool. And
          >perhaps Fighting Man, because I need to be able to shout "Tavia!"
          >

          >Xenophile ("Tavia!")

          Galactic Overlord. Drama Critic. Swear fealty to Torgon at http://www.cafepress.com/torgonthrone/ . Torgon has spoken.
        • Fredrik Ekman
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2002
            I think I would most miss Chessmen, but I have a soft spot for Synthetic
            Men as well.

            /Fredrik
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9, 2002
              In a message dated 09/09/2002 15:52:47, ekman@... writes:

              << I think I would most miss Chessmen, but I have a soft spot for Synthetic
              Men as well. >>

              MASTER MIND would probably be my pick, though FIGHTING MAN and SYNTHETIC MEN
              are close.

              But then, so are THUVIA and CHESSMEN, and SWORDS and LLANA, and "Giant" and
              "Skeleton Men."

              AQPorter
            • Guy Hoyle
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 9, 2002
                In the Barsoom RPG I'm running, one of the players is playing a synthetic man.

                Guy

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
                  How could anyone "outgrow" the Barsoom series? They are timeless! I'd say that Gods of Mars is my all-time favorite, but to answer your question directly, probably Chessmen of Mars for its complexity and richness of scenes and characters.
                  i have not read gods of mars for sometime , starting reading it last
                  night . now i know why i enjoyed it at 16, 29 and now 43 years of
                  age , it seems i will never out grow it!-----read bio on erb , it
                  indicated that he wanted to stop barsoom series after the first three
                  [ trilogy] ----if that happened what novel of the barsoom series [
                  after three] would members miss the most?-----ralph

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor