Re: [barsoom] Re: Barsoomian air ships?

  • Jim Clunie
    Message 1 of 13 , May 30, 2009
      There's a pretty good Frank Frazetta black and white illo showing some
      action from either "Gods" or "Warlord" on the deck of a flier. I'm not
      positive it's on ERBZine's Frazetta page, though I seem to recall it
      is.

      Cheers
      Jim

      Message 2 of 13 , May 30, 2009
        I don't know that Burroughs ever describes the air ships in any kind of detail.

        My impression is that they seem to be sort of like long rafts or sledges, with the bouyancy tanks underneath, and a deck or platform on top.  Sometimes there are references to a rail or raised lip.

        Big ships seem to have superstructure of sorts, there's references to cabins.  There are also propellor motors. I have the impression they're mounted at the back.

        They aren't enclosed structures, like our airplanes, but more open deck structures, somewhat akin to seagoing vessels.  Also, no wings, fixed or otherwise.

        Warships, I would assume, have weapons blisters mounted on their undersides as well as their sides.   And I think the really big ships may be open in the center for dropping bombs.

        There's a pretty good Frank Frazetta black and white illo showing some
        action from either "Gods" or "Warlord" on the deck of a flier. I'm not
        positive it's on ERBZine's Frazetta page, though I seem to recall it
        is.

        Cheers
        Jim

        >> Looking for ANY pictures on air ships or air craft from a Barsoomian view. I am planing on running an RPG based on the world of Barssom (its going to be pulpy for sure :) but although I have some stats on different types of craft I find I can not get any real nice pictures to show players.
        >>
        >> I have some great minis from Bronze Age Miniatures and I am very handy making terrain and even made a ship or two for swashbuckling pirate adventures but nothing for Barsoomian ari craft.
        >>
        >> Any help would be appretiated
        >> Xavier, Another Warlord of Mars :)

      • Terry Klasek
        Message 3 of 13 , May 30, 2009
          KAOR!!!

          My introduction to Barsoomian aircraft was on the covers of the early Ballantine and ACE paperbacks! That got my imagination going full throttle!

          Then I found ERBlist ERB-COF and ERBZINE! Links to hardcover dust jackets, and interior illustratins! WOW!!!

          Like the two other Ballantine barsoomian sets I have as well!

          One can hope our artistic driends will paint and ink their imaginations re Barsoomian aircraft????

          OH yes Check out the art in a glut of fanzines!!!!

          Umgawa!

          Erich von Harben

          From: Jim Clunie <jim.clunie@gmail. com>

          To: barsoom@yahoogroups .com

          There's a pretty good Frank Frazetta black and white illo showing some

          action from either "Gods" or "Warlord" on the deck of a flier. I'm not

          positive it's on ERBZine's Frazetta page, though I seem to recall it

          is.

          Cheers

          Jim

          >> Looking for ANY pictures on air ships or air craft from a Barsoomian view. I am planing on running an RPG based on the world of Barssom (its going to be pulpy for sure :) but although I have some stats on different types of craft I find I can not get any real nice pictures to show players.

          >> I have some great minis from Bronze Age Miniatures and I am very handy making terrain and even made a ship or two for swashbuckling pirate adventures but nothing for Barsoomian ari craft.

          >> Any help would be appretiated

          >> Xavier, Another Warlord of Mars :)

          http://www.flickr com/gift/

        • universal1222
          Message 4 of 13 , May 31, 2009
            I think the design ERB wanted for his airships was intended to be like a flying "boat" or "ship". If so, then the airships that are displayed on the cover artwork by artist Dick Powers is the most best so far.

            Let us also not forget that Barsoomian airships gave inspiration to George Lucas to help create the "sand skiffs" and "sail barge" seen in the Star Wars saga.

            See the illustrations and compare to the art of Dick Powers:

            http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bantha-II_cargo_skiff

            http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sail_barge

            http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Khetanna

            They really do look like "flying boats"...

            best,

            RV
            Message 5 of 13 , May 31, 2009
              You might be interested in the ERBzine feature:
              A GALLERY OF ERB'S BARSOOMIAN AIRSHIPS
              Artist Interpretations Part I
              http://www.erbzine.com/mag28/2806.html

              Bill Hillman
              http://www.ERBzine.com
              This week's ERBzine Online Fanzine:
              http://www.ERBzine.com/mag

              http://www.barsoom.com

              > Looking for ANY pictures on air ships or air craft from a Barsoomian view.
              > I am planing on running an RPG based on the world of Barssom (its going to
              > be pulpy for sure :) but although I have some stats on different types of
              > craft I find I can not get any real nice pictures to show players.
              >
              > I have some great minis from Bronze Age Miniatures and I am very handy
              > making terrain and even made a ship or two for swashbuckling pirate
              > adventures but nothing for Barsoomian ari craft.
              >
              > Any help would be appretiated
              > Xavier, Another Warlord of Mars :)

            • sandyxavier
              Message 6 of 13 , May 31, 2009
                THANK YOU ALL :) I have some good ideas now so I shall endeavor to make a Barsoomian style ship post haste
                Xavier another Barsoomian Admiral ;)

                --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "sandyxavier" <sandyxavier@...> wrote:

                > Lots of art but under which artist? I can not seem to find it :(
                >
                > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Jean Elliott <Turbo-ducky@> wrote:
                > >

                > > check the ERBzine under art work and you will find a diagram of a martian flyer.
                > >
                > > " illegitimi non carborundum "
                > >

                > > To: barsoom@yahoogroups.com
                > > From: sandyxavier@
                > > Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 21:10:28 +0000
                > > Subject: [barsoom] Barsoomian air ships?
                > >

                > > Looking for ANY pictures on air ships or air craft from a Barsoomian view. I am planing on running an RPG based on the world of Barssom (its going to be pulpy for sure :) but although I have some stats on different types of craft I find I can not get any real nice pictures to show players.
                > >
                > > I have some great minis from Bronze Age Miniatures and I am very handy making terrain and even made a ship or two for swashbuckling pirate adventures but nothing for Barsoomian ari craft.
                > >
                > > Any help would be appretiated
                > > Xavier, Another Warlord of Mars :)

              • the hugh
                Message 7 of 13 , May 31, 2009
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 31, 2009
                    What a great site! Those guys are really into it. Some wonderful
                    designs.

                    �N�

                    On May 31, 2009, at 11:18 AM, the hugh wrote:

                    > You should look at this site for ideas:
                    > http://www.salute.co.uk/salutegames/cloudships/main.htm
                    >
                    > -- Don

                    Phil Normand
                    phil@...
                    http://www.recoverings.com

                    Replica dust jackets for the collector

                  • sailor.barsoom
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                      The two Star Wars craft look very close. Take a miniature
                      of the Bantha II Cargo Skiff, snip off those sticks that
                      hang under the craft (cool-looking, maybe, but impractical),
                      add propellers, and there you go!

                      If there is a miniature available, the Sail Barge would be
                      wonderful. Just snip off the sails, add propellers, and
                      you've got a Barsoomian flier!

                      The Cloudships stuff is cool. Of course, a Barsoomian
                      craft wouldn't be powered with steam or muscle-power, but
                      with radium engines. Also, instead of liftwood, they have
                      to use those vulnerable buoyancy tanks.