official John Carter RPG

  • Peter Huston
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2009
      In the 1970s, Heritage, a miniatures company, produced a range of official miniatures as well as two sets of rules, one for miniature battles and the other for RPGing.

      They were primitive but well done by the standards of the day.

      The company eventually lost the license and the rules and miniatures are no longer in production.

      There are unofficial sets out there and, F?YI, there is a barsoom gaming forum as well where people discuss these and how to use existing rules sets for Barsoom.

      As for the TSR game, I've never seen a copy but as it predated the original Dungeons and Dragons, I've been told it was pretty terrible and any decent gamer famliar with today's mechanics could cobble together something better in an evening.

      All the best,

      Peter Huston

    • Bill Crum
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2009
        --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Peter Huston <hamchuck.1234@...> wrote:

        > In the 1970s, Heritage, a miniatures company, produced a range of official miniatures as well as two sets of rules, one for miniature battles and the other for RPGing.
        >
        > They were primitive but well done by the standards of the day.
        >
        > The company eventually lost the license and the rules and miniatures are no longer in production.
        >
        > There are unofficial sets out there and, F?YI, there is a barsoom gaming forum as well where people discuss these and how to use existing rules sets for Barsoom.
        >
        > As for the TSR game, I've never seen a copy but as it predated the original Dungeons and Dragons, I've been told it was pretty terrible and any decent gamer famliar with today's mechanics could cobble together something better in an evening.
        >
        > All the best,
        >
        > Peter Huston

        Could we have a link to that Barsoom gaming forum?
      • Jim Clunie
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2009