Re: [barsoom] Re: OFFICIAL JOHN CARTER/BARSOOM RPG?

  • Jim Clunie
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 16, 2009
      On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:37 AM, Bill Crum <flooglestreet@...> wrote:
      > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "xaltotun01" <xaltotun01@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Kaor!  Long-time Heliumite, first-time poster! :D
      >>
      >> I don't know if this subject has been discussed here as yet, but I'd like to find out from those knowledgeable parties here if there has ever been an Official John Carter ("pen-and-paper") roleplaying game, sanctioned by the ERB Estate? I've heard of an RPG called Mars which is allegedly *inspired* by the books, but in all likelihood it is not licensed and avoids mention of IP.
      >>
      >> Thanks!

      I should mention that I'm the author of a sourcebook for Martian
      creatures from Skirmisher Publishing LLC (not associated with
      Adamant's Mars line):

      http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=51403
      http://www.lulu.com/content/4717631
      (and various other outlets)

      My publisher has had discussions wth ERB, Inc. but "Shadows of a Dying
      World" is not licenced.

      Jim Clunie
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 16, 2009
        In a message dated 16/3/09 3:24:25, xaltotun01@... writes:

        > In the 70's TSR put out a booklet for Barsoomian wargaming, but it was
        > unauthorised and the estate put pressure on them and TSR did not produce any
        > further printings. Consequently, it is highly sought after by collectors.
        >
        > I think this is it:
        >
        > http://www.tomeoftrhttp://www.thttp://www.tomeohttp://www&<wbr>highl<wbr
        >
        > There's also this one that might not have been legal:
        >
        > http://tomeoftreasuhttp://tomeofthttp://tomhttp://tom&<wbr>sid=72edee1<wbr>
        > sid=72edee1<wbr
        >
        > I'm sure there were others.

        There's at least one other that I know of, besides the Bizar and the
        Gygax/Blume manuals:

        Matheny, Michael S., JOHN CARTER, WARLORD OF MARS ADVENTURE GAMING HANDBOOK
        (Dallas, Tex., Heritage Models, Inc., 1978). The cover is by Russ Manning.

        I've never seen the second variant of the Bizar manual; mine is the one with
        the green cover. Will have to add it to the next edition of the Pocket
        Checklist.

      • xaltotun01
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 16, 2009
          I had recently noticed that text on drivethru, but as I do not play the d20 system, opted not to get it. Since WotC changes the ruleset ever few years (3.0 to 3.5 to now 4.0) I was not sure how well a d20 system book would sell over the long run in the mainstream market, given how much they have splintered their demographics (the cancellation of Dragon mag notwithstanding).

          Best wishes.

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 16, 2009
            In a message dated 16/3/09 23:32:15, jhuckenp@... writes:

            > Matheny, Michael S., JOHN CARTER, WARLORD OF MARS ADVENTURE GAMING HANDBOOK
            > (Dallas, Tex., Heritage Models, Inc., 1978). The cover is by Russ Manning.

            I should have added that this is the same cover as on the first (green) Bizar
            battle manual.

          • keithbvaughn
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 17, 2009
              Many years ago (early 80's) SPI put out John Carter: Warlord of Mars which had a sketal RPG in it.

              Keith

            • ekman@lysator.liu.se
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 17, 2009
                Jim wrote:

                > I should mention that I'm the author of a sourcebook for Martian
                > creatures from Skirmisher Publishing LLC (not associated with
                > Adamant's Mars line):

                Looks very interesting, that, but the PDF preview refuses to work. Could
                you upload a preview to the files section?

                Fredrik
              • Jim Clunie
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 17, 2009
                  On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:32 AM, <ekman@...> wrote:
                  > Jim wrote:
                  >
                  >> I should mention that I'm the author of a sourcebook for Martian
                  >> creatures from Skirmisher Publishing LLC (not associated with
                  >> Adamant's Mars line):
                  >
                  > Looks very interesting, that, but the PDF preview refuses to work. Could
                  > you upload a preview to the files section?
                  >
                  >  Fredrik

                  I don't see why not, though if the group owner thinks it's
                  inappropriate as a commercial product, please let me know. The preview
                  file contains the Introduction and first couple of pages of the Apt.

                  I'll post it up to BarsoomGaming as well.

                  Cheers
                  Jim