Re: Gor # 's 27 & 28

  • Jon Nixon
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2008
      I always thought Burroughs' treatment of female characters varied
      wildly from story to story. Dejah Thoris was majestic in the first
      couple of books but went downhill after that. My personal favorite was
      Tavia in Fighting Man of Mars, but in some of the other stories the
      women are just plot devices. The absolute low point has to be Skeleton
      Men of Jupiter; I know its a draft (and it finishes half way through)
      but Dejah Thoris' part is awful... she's completely characterless and
      is just there to get kidnapped and keep John Carter on the move.
      Burroughs could have replaced her with a vital component from the
      atmosphere factory and the story wouldn't have been any different.

      As to Burroughs spawning a new genre... I recently started on a Sword
      and Planet binge ;-) I've been working my way through the books listed
      on the wikipedia Sword and Planet page. Most of them are direct
      homages to Barsoom.

      I've always had a soft spot for the first few Gor books (last year I
      re-read 1-5 and enjoyed them) but I remember the later ones being just
      dreadful - When you find yourself glancing at each page to guess if
      its worth reading and flipping to the next one you know theres no
      point in continuing. I won't be bothering with any new ones.
    • Randy Harmelink
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 4, 2008
        My experience exactly, even to the first 5 books. After those, I can
        remember scanning pages to find where the storyline picked up
        again...and as the series continued, there was more and more scanning
        of pages...