Choice of time

  • ekman@lysator.liu.se
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2008
      Rick wrote:
      > To see jon Nixon's Barsoom TIME calculator, go to:
      > http://geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB/time2b.html

      As a matter of curiosity, Rick: Which of the three options for Barsoomian
      time do you prefer to use when you write? Or do you find that you do not
      need that kind of precision anyway?

      By the way, the links to Jon's e-mail address and his artwork site at the
      bottom do not work. There is some problem with the html syntax. (I did not
      check the details.)

      Fredrik
    • Rick Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2008
        I wrote:
        >>> To see jon Nixon's Barsoom TIME calculator, go to:
        >>> http://geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB/time2b.html

        Fredrik replied:
        >>As a matter of curiosity, Rick: Which of the three options for Barsoomian time do you prefer to use when you write? Or do you find that you do not need that kind of precision anyway?

        Honestly, despite being a former professional engineer, I find that there is little that requires that kind of precision.
        Sure, when sailing across an ocean, a single degree will cause you to miss Hawaii. But I've never taken my sailboat off a lake so never worried about that.
        And bulding a house requires closeness but if you ever saw any of those new builders and how casual they are with their measurements, you'd be afraid to live there. I watched the construction people build a couple offices in the courthouse and told my boss that if they worked for me in the Air Force, I'd fire them!

        But when writing, I try to get the moon positions close and the time and distance close just to show tht I know them. But after awhile, that precision bogs down the story and so long as I am within 10%, I am happy.
        But then, I just built a 15'x60' porch and a 8'x15' shed for my boss and when I was off, I scabbed it or cut it and somehow, it turned out to be better built than the other houses in the subdivision I stopped to examine.

        I'm like Burroughs in that respect, I think that sometimes he would take the current known equator and work down. Then he'd misplace that chart and remember the aproximate tal or sof and work up. Then do it all again when he read a more precise or newer measurement from the astronomers which explined why they appeared to change over the course of the novels.
        How else can you explainthe differnce between Jetan in the book ad Jetan in thw Appendix or CoM?
        But is there any real difference between 11.1419" and 11.1"?
        I live in a Euclidian Universe. Relativistic physics do not affect me at all in my daily life. So why be that precise?

        >>By the way, the links to Jon's e-mail address and his artwork site at the bottom do not work. There is some problem with the html syntax. (I did not check the details.)

        Thank you. I'll check them out today.
        When I downloaded the program, my computer added a bunch of "=20%" and "3D" all over the place and I spent an hour removing them (missed 2 lousy "=" too that Jon had to find for me.
        I thought thelinks worked but I may have accidently added something when I changed some " to ".
        The " on my computer does not register as " in html so every time I upload a code, I have to go through the entite thing snd manually change the " in my code to the "in their code. stupid compac computer!

        Rick Johnson,
        PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
        geocities.com/RikJohnson39
        "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security will soon find that they have neither!"

        Please note: message attached