Barsoom gaming

  • Fredrik Ekman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
      Hi!

      Being an avid gamer, as well as a Burroughs fan, I decided to try to put
      together a list of Barsoom-related games. The results can be seen below.
      The format is:

      author; title; year; publication

      Comments are placed in brackets.

      I have not decided quite what to do with this thing. If anyone is
      interested in taking it over to make a web page of it (or something
      similar) please fell free to do so. I also happily accept additions and
      corrections.

      /F

      -----

      List of Barsoom-related games
      =============================

      Computer games
      --------------

      Johanson, David; Under the Moons of Mars [for Amiga]; 1997; unpublished
      [development probably ceased; home page exists at
      http://hem.passagen.se/infinity/moons.htm%5d

      Swartz, T.; The Sands of Mars [for Apple II]; 1988;
      ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/games/appleII/eamon/guild/dsk/dos33/edos3163.dsk.gz
      [also requires an Apple II emulator and the file
      ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/games/appleII/eamon/guild/dsk/dos33/edos3001.dsk.gz]

      Role-playing game rules
      -----------------------

      anonymous; Terraspace: Mars [for Spelljammer]; 1999(?);
      http://www.gwr.com/~eshum/rpg/sj/worlds/Terraspace/04-Mars.html

      "Brucifer"; GURPS: Barsoom; 1999;
      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/5413/barsoom_a.html

      Campbell, Von; The Creation of Barsoomian Characters [for The Fantasy Trip
      (TFT)]; ?; Fantasy Forum #7

      Campbell, Von; Origin of Animal Life and Further Descriptions of Animal
      and Plant Life [for TFT]; ?; Fantasy Forum #8

      Campbell, Von; Savage Creatures of Barsoom [for TFT]; ?; Fantasy Forum #9

      Campbell, Von; Warlord of Mars [for TFT]; ?; Fantasy Forum #10

      Kazmiersky, Jeffrey; The Fantastic Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs [work in
      progress]; 1998; http://www.gnt.net/~kazmier/fwerb.html [some additional
      pages at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dreamworld/6532/barsoom/%5d

      Nolan, Jonathan(?); The Incomplete Netbook of Humanoids [for ADND]; 1998;
      http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~ksimpson/ADND/noh.txt

      Board games
      -----------

      Herman, Mark & Eric Goldberg; John Carter, Warlord of Mars; 1979; SPI

      Arlington, Dave; John Carter - Warlord of Mars Solitaire Rules [requires
      the SPI game]; ?; http://grognard.com/variants/johncart1.txt

      Miniature and wargame rules
      ---------------------------

      Bizar, Scott; Barsoomian Battle Manual; 1978; Heritage Models

      Gygax, Gary & Brian Blume; Warriors of Mars: The Warfare of Barsoom in
      Miniature; 1974; TSR

      Matheny, M S; John Carter, Warlord of Mars Adventure Gaming Handbook; late
      1970's; Heritage Models

      Miniature and wargame rules, supplemental

      Barker, Phil & Sue Laflin Barker & Richakrd Bodley; Hordes of the Things
      [includes army lists for red and green men]; 1991; Wargames Research Group

      Curtis; House Army Lists - Armies of Barsoom [for Fantasy Rules!]; 1998;
      http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~whitten/rules/lists/barsoom.htm

      Saunders, Alan; Barsoomian Army Lists for 'Hordes of the Things'; 1999(?);
      http://btinternet.com/~alan.catherine/wargames/barsoom.htm

      Walsh, Michael; Green Martian Question/DBF; 1999;
      http://onelist.com/messages/barsoom?archive=5

      Ward, Jim; Deserted Cities of Mars; early 1980's; Dragon Magazine #?
      [reprinted at http://www.gnt.net/~kazmier/barsoom/cities.html%5d

      --------

      This list was created 28/1 2000 by Fredrik Ekman (ekman@...).
      Please distribute freely.
    • Mike Walsh
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
        Hi Fred

        I didn't realise that there was so much gaming material devoted to Barsoom,

        I have done a series of army lists for DBM/DBF which are in an advanced
        state of preparedness, however these are halted as I haven't currently got a
        copy of "Fighting Men" and the DBF rules are in a state of flux. If the new
        version comes out this year I will edit the lists to these rules, if the DBF
        rules are as bad as the original then I will use Dave Browns web version of
        DBFi as the basis and put them on the web somewhere.
        Before I do that I may ask for advice and comments on the structure of the
        lists.....

        Cheers Mike

        From Michael Walsh
        mrwalsh@...

> [...]
        >
        > Gygax, Gary & Brian Blume; Warriors of Mars: The Warfare of Barsoom in
        > Miniature; 1974; TSR
        >
        > Matheny, M S; John Carter, Warlord of Mars Adventure Gaming Handbook; late
        > 1970's; Heritage Models
        >

        > Miniature and wargame rules, supplemental
        >
        > Barker, Phil & Sue Laflin Barker & Richakrd Bodley; Hordes of the Things
        > [includes army lists for red and green men]; 1991; Wargames Research Group
        >
        > Curtis; House Army Lists - Armies of Barsoom [for Fantasy Rules!]; 1998;
        > http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~whitten/rules/lists/barsoom.htm
        >
        > Saunders, Alan; Barsoomian Army Lists for 'Hordes of the Things'; 1999(?);
        > http://btinternet.com/~alan.catherine/wargames/barsoom.htm
        >
        > Walsh, Michael; Green Martian Question/DBF; 1999;
        > http://onelist.com/messages/barsoom?archive=5
        >
        > Ward, Jim; Deserted Cities of Mars; early 1980's; Dragon Magazine #?

      • Erich von Harben
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2000
          KAOR!!!

          I am impressed by that comprehensive list of Barsoom games. Good
          research!

          I am NOT, howver, into any kind of RPGs, and I think it all crap. You
          like it- go for it. Just won't be me!

          erich von Harben
        • Fredrik Ekman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2000
            > From: "Mike Walsh" <mrwalsh@...>
            >
            > I have done a series of army lists for DBM/DBF which are in an
            > advanced state of preparedness

            Please keep us updated as to your progress. Even though I do not play
            miniature games myself, it is always fun to read the rules.

            > From: Erich von Harben <evharben@...>
            >
            > I am NOT, howver, into any kind of RPGs, and I think it all crap. You
            > like it- go for it. Just won't be me!

            A man cannot please everyone. You have a perfect right to your opinion, of
            course.

            /F