Barsoom program needed

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 9, 2008
      A few years ago, I advertized for a Name Generator Program that would create character names based on Pal-ul-Don by Edgar Rice Burrough's _Tarzan the Terrible_.

      The basic data was simple.
      We had a basic vocabulary and the rules for naming the Don.
      All we needed was someone to write a simple program that would generate results based on a simple formula:
      Given vocabulary beginning with a vowel=A
      and a vocabulary beginning with a consonant=B
      and a vocabulary ending with a vowel=C
      and a vocabulary ending with a consonant=D
      and a complete vocabulary=E

      Ho-Don male name = B+D
      Ho Don female name = A+E+C
      and so on.

      Ross Spiller was kind enough to write the program which can be found at: http://geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB/NameGen.html

      So now I am advertizing another simple program for those of you who are skilled in this area.

      Barsoom distance and time calculator:

      DISTANCE:
      given the basic distance measurements on Barsoom
      1 sof= about 1.117"
      10 sof = 1 sofad
      10 sofad = 1 ad
      200 ad = 1 haad
      100 haad = 1karad
      360 karad = circunference of Mars at equator about 13,289 miles.

      So... why not a similar program that lists the following:
      Barsoom British Metric
      sof ___ inch ___ mm ___
      sofad ___ feet ___ meter ___
      ad ___ yard ___ Kilometer ___
      haad ___ mile ___
      karad ___

      you get the idea. Plug a number in the 'feet' box and the program fills in all the other boxes.
      Always start with the true Circumference of Mars at the Equator and work backwards to the sof.

      Time is a bit more complicated...
      TIME:
      given the basic time measurements on Barsoom:
      1 tal = 1/4 xat (about 11 seconds)
      4 tal = 1 xat (about 44.28 sec or .738 min)
      200 xat = 1 zode (about 2 hr 27.6 min)
      10 zode = 1 day (about 24 hours 37 minutes Earth time)
      670 (Mars) days = 1 year (about 684 Earth days)

      Here you would not have such a simple conversion... or maybe you would? You would have to take the true length of the Martian Day and work backwards to the tal.
      Years would be based on the Martian day-year then converted to Earth-day year. I can work out that formula but frankly, I keep messing up with the decimal point.

      Since Mr Spiller is too busy last time i asked to create this, anyone else want to have a go at the program?

      I'm willing to do all the basic data like figure out what each measurement really is to make it easier.

      Rick Johnson,
      PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      geocities.com/RikJohnson39
      "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security will soon find that they have neither!"
      All is not lost! Click now for professional data recovery.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iif8faj7HHpirXhjtYgonO6iV47QYuDPDpgpePgnuupGw7OGN/?count=1234567890
    • Jon Nixon
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 13, 2008
        This sounded fun so I had a go at...

        http://www.employees.org/~jonixon/barsoom_distance.html

        You can take the code and use it as you see fit, but its untested so
        you might want to have a play and give me feedback first

        It relies on the fact that the circumference of Mars =

        360 karads or 13289 miles or 21386572416 millimeters

        BTW Using those measurements 1 sof came out as 1.17 inches, not 1.117

        I'll do something for times too

        - Jon

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 13, 2008
          Hi Rick -

          * http://www.employees.org/~jonixon/barsoom_distance.html
          * http://www.employees.org/~jonixon/barsoom_time.html

          Both are mostly untested and rely on assumptions (circumference of
          Mars in miles and millimeters, length of Martian day and year in
          seconds... also the length of an Earth year in seconds)

          email me if you spot any problems or would like improvements

          Feel free to copy the pages

          - Jon

          --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

          > Barsoom distance and time calculator
        • Phil Normand
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 13, 2008
            Cool! According to this I'm only 33.5 years old on Barsoom!

            Phil

            On Nov 13, 2008, at 12:19 PM, Jon Nixon wrote:

            > Hi Rick -
            >
            > * http://www.employees.org/~jonixon/barsoom_distance.html
            > * http://www.employees.org/~jonixon/barsoom_time.html
            >
            > Both are mostly untested and rely on assumptions (circumference of
            > Mars in miles and millimeters, length of Martian day and year in
            > seconds... also the length of an Earth year in seconds)
            >
            > email me if you spot any problems or would like improvements
            >
            > Feel free to copy the pages
            >
            > - Jon

            Phil Normand
            phil@...
            http://www.recoverings.com

            Replica dust jackets for the collector

          • ekman@lysator.liu.se
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 13, 2008
              > * http://www.employees.org/~jonixon/barsoom_time.html

              Good work, Jon. Unfortunately, time on Barsoom is not quite that simple.
              You may want to check out my article at
              http://www.erbzine.com/mag16/1630.html

              Fredrik
            • Jon Nixon
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                Wow!

                I guess I could add more columns using different rules - but it may
                take me a while to digest all that information ;-)

                - Jon

                --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, ekman@... wrote:

                > > * http://www.employees.org/~jonixon/barsoom_time.html
                >
                > Good work, Jon. Unfortunately, time on Barsoom is not quite that simple.
                > You may want to check out my article at
                > http://www.erbzine.com/mag16/1630.html
                >
                > Fredrik

              • Jon Nixon
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                  Hello Fredrik -

                  > http://www.erbzine.com/mag16/1630.html

                  You included a nice little summary halfway through your article so I
                  borrowed that and redesigned my script

                  * http://www.employees.org/~jonixon/barsoom_time.html

                  I've renamed "Incorrect Time" to "Fantasy Barsoom Time"

                  And I'm keeping well away from the calendar!

                • ekman@lysator.liu.se
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                    > You included a nice little summary halfway through your article so I
                    > borrowed that and redesigned my script

                    Say, that looks very nice! I will have to write Tom and tell him about it.

                    > And I'm keeping well away from the calendar!

                    I have actually made an Earth <-> Barsoom date conversion tool myself, in
                    Excel. I do not want to put it up on the files section, but I could mail
                    it out on request. It requires an add-on called Xdate that can be freely
                    downloaded from somewhere on the Net.

                    Fredrik
                  • Rick Johnson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 17, 2008
                      >> Cool! According to this I'm only 33.5 years old on Barsoom!
                      >>Phil

                      I did a story _Ayiesha, a MAiden on Barsoom_ where the heroine was 20 Earth Years and involved with a 350 year old Red man...
                      I tossed in that part where she was only 10 (Mars) years old and the guy was upset because she was still a child.

                      Rick Johnson,
                      PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
                      geocities.com/RikJohnson39
                      "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security will soon find that they have neither!"

                      Please note: message attached

                    • Rick Johnson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 17, 2008
                        I think that the programs work very well for people on our level. But then, I'm not sending a free-fall satelite to Barsoom that will take two years to reach the planet and a mistake of .00001 of a degree will miss the planet completly.

                        When you are mainly interested in reading _Gods of Mars_ and want to get a better idea of what is going on when JC talks about the Temple opening only once a year... or how old Carthoris really was when he married Thuvia or...

                        Or when JC talks about hopw many Haads it is from Helium to Zodanga, this saves your pencil, paper and calculator. Especially when you are as dyslexic as am i and keep messing with the decimal point.

                        This is perfect.
                        And i am very happy with it!

                        pity we can't do the same for Amtor and the other places.. or can we?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 18, 2008
                          --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

                          > pity we can't do the same for Amtor and the other places.. or can we?

                          You give me the conversions and I can adapt the programs :-)

                          Or you can do it yourself... the source should be very easy to understand.

                          First each field is given a id (eg. karads or s_padans)

                          Then each id has to be defined. In the case of distance I did it in
                          Martian circumferences, so karads = 360 and miles = 13289 because 1
                          Martian circumference is 360 padans or 13289 Miles and all other
                          distances are derived from that. In the casee of time I did the other
                          way round and started with Earth seconds, so s_padans = 1.02749 * 24 *
                          60 * 60 because each scientific padan is 1.02749 Earth days etc.

                          - Jon
                        • ekman@lysator.liu.se
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 18, 2008
                            Rick wrote:
                            > pity we can't do the same for Amtor and the other places.. or can we?

                            We can. Burroughs did specify units of length and time for Venus as well.
                            Again, unfortunately, he was not perfectly consistent. I have some
                            discussion regarding Amtorian units of time in my Venus chronology:

                            http://www.erbzine.com/mag16/1631.html

                            Fredrik
                          • Rick Johnson
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
                              >>Or you can do it yourself... the source should be very easy to understand.

                              Once I can read the code, I probably can.
                              I do simple html and when I needed to do something more complicated, I would save a code and dissect it.

                              Unfortunatly, I cannot save the code from your link for some reason. I can save the webpage as a link or such but not the code that created the program.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
                                --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:
                                > Unfortunatly, I cannot save the code from your link for some reason.
                                I can save the webpage as a link or such but not the code that
                                created the program.

                                Thats odd - theres no security involved and if you're viewing and
                                using the page you've already downloaded it from the server to you browser

                                I put a copy of each one in this group's Files section in folder
                                called Programs - you can try there but its probably exactly the same.

                                - Jon
                              • Rick Johnson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 20, 2008
                                  got it!!!

                                  I knew that if I relaxed and let my inner-nerd take over, I'd figure it out.
                                  I went to the URL and saved (took whatever suggestion the computer offered).
                                  Then I opened it as a NOtePad file which showed the html.
                                  Copy-all then paste as a Doc and there it is! the HTML!

                                  Thanks Jon. I really appreciate this program you did.