ERBzine News: New ERB Film LTF ~ Tarzan Musical in Holland breaks all records ~ Superman Copyright

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      ERBzine News: www.ERBzine.com/news

      Remake of Edgar Rice Burroughs Film
      LDS Forums ~ Provo, Utah
      Sunstorm Productions has announced that they will begin filming a new adaptation combining two of Edgar Rice Burroughs classics, The Land that Time Forgot and The People that Time Forgot. They will be combined into a loose adaptation under The Land that Time Forgot title.
      Executive Producer April Pazzo, has selected the campus of Brigham Young University as the setting for the film. "This is an ideal location for the film. It has all the ingredients necessary for a realistic period piece. We were at first skeptical of reports from our location scouts, but once we saw the campus, we knew it was perfect."

      Filming begins in August and the call for a cast of a thousand extras will come as early as May 1st, next month. "It will be a real savings for our production budget, in that we are going to ask the natives to just show up in their street clothes," she added. "That attests to the marvelous job our location scouts have performed." Early reports suggest the possibility that Utah favorites Dell Schanze or Jimmy Osmond may possibly be considered for the part that was once played by Doug McClure, although no definite decisions have been made.
      One year ago Stage Entertainment and Disney Theatrical Productions started with the first try-out of the musical Tarzan, hoping that it would be a great hit. In the US the number of visitors were decreasing at that time. For that reason and the fact that our Fortis Circustheatre had more possibilities, scenes were adjusted and songs were added to be sure of a smashing success. It became a big hit and the audience still love this musical. Within six months the cast album became gold.

      There are musical lovers who already visited this show for more than ten times! Today with more than 825.000 tickets sold it is the most successful musical in the Dutch history.

      Like in the old movies acting in the role of Tarzan is not without risks. In the past Tarzan actors used to have stuntmen (like Paul Stader) or get hurt when they did their own stunts (like Ron Ely). Last week Ron Link broke his hand while he had to run between two tracks and is now at home recovering from this injury. So playing a Tarzan role is not without risk even it is a musical. We wish Ron a speedy recovery as lots of fans are saddened with the fact that they will not see Ron Link as Tarzan.

      The Dutch Cast:
      3 Tarzans: Ron Link, John Vooijs (first Alternate) and Dennis ten Vergert (second alternate).
      3 Janes: Chantal Janzen, Bente van den Brand and Nathalie van Gent
      6 Young Tarzans per group.
      and all of the other roles played by the great actors.

      After one year we can say the we have a successful Tarzan musical!
      Submitted by Ron de Laat

      Ruling Gives Heirs a Share of Superman Copyright
      AP ~ March 29, 2008
      LOS ANGELES - Time Warner is no longer the sole proprietor of Superman. Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel sold the rights to Superman in 1938 for $130.
      Read the story in
      Bill Hillman
      Editor and Webmaster for the
      Official Edgar Rice Burroughs Tribute Sites