Re: [barsoom] Re: barsoomian pronounciation guide

    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 8, 2008
      There's evidence of at least two other Barsoomian
      languages.

      We know that the Great White Apes seem to have a
      language. They're sophisticated tool users, socially
      organized, and gibber constantly, so its pretty clear
      that they're using language even if we don't know what
      that language is.

      And there's also remnants of a previous language in
      some of the terms and references of the First Born of
      Omean and Kamtol. Martian folklore has it that a
      separate language is/was spoken in Valley Dor, so this
      might be the same language. It's possible that a
      second or alternative language lingered on perhaps as
      a religious tongue among Therns or First Born.

      Finally, I think that we can deconstruct modern
      Barsoomian and find some fossil roots of archaic
      Orovar. But it appears that the current Barsoomian
      language emerged in the late Orovar period and appears
      to have become dominant some time prior to the
      cataclysm.

      I note that even on Earth the tendency is towards
      linguistic consolidation. Take the Phillipines.
      There were hundreds, even thousands of languages
      spoken there. But Tagalog is becoming ever dominant
      as the language of literacy, of television, radio, of
      trade and commerce. A great many philipine languages
      are now dead, and many more are dying.

      French was originally spoken as a particular dialect
      around Paris. English was a mutant that spread
      wildly.

      Worldwide, the trend is towards ever reducing
      diversity.

      It's not out of the question that within another five
      hundred years there may only be a single language
      spoken on Earth. Regional accents, local sayings,
      etc. But still a single language.

      --- Jim Clunie <jim.clunie@...> wrote:

      > On Jan 9, 2008 10:22 AM, Peter Huston
      > <hamchuck.1234@...> wrote:
      > > Okay, these are all sensible opinions, but let me
      > remind people that, IIRC, the Barsoomian language is
      > unique in that the same language is spoken on the
      > entire planet in all places. Furthermore, in the
      > 10th or 9th book when a Barsoomian of some kind is
      > awoken after being in suspended animation for
      > considerable time (centuries, IIRC) he speaks the
      > same as everyone else.
      > >
      > > (As someone who has dabbled in linguistics, I have
      > always wondered how this might be possible, if,
      > pardon me, it is possible at all, and if so what it
      > implies about the structure of Barsoomian as a
      > language. How could a language be created that is
      > not evolving and changing? I suppose for instance it
      > must have very rigid rules with no irregular
      > formations as otherwise speakers would create
      > regional variations on how to say and do things.)
      > >
      > > Therefore, I would argue, it is extremely unlikely
      > that there are any accents and all words on Barsoom
      > must have a standard pronunciation.
      > >
      > > I do not understand how this could be, but I think
      > it follows logically from the assumption that there
      > is one universal language on Barsoom. (And really, I
      > don't mean to cause stress, strife over this issue.
      > I mean the reason we are all here is to have fun,
      > right? This is just my opinion but I'd love to hear
      > arguments against it or conjecture on how Barsoomian
      > might be structured according to the books.)
      > >

      > The Barsoomian form of communication has a strong
      > connection to
      > telepathy (sometimes the Green Men hardly vocalise
      > at all for extended
      > periods) and may be far more instinctive and extend
      > further back in
      > evolution than the very simple innate grammar that's
      > been theorised to
      > occur in Earth human language. Even Barsoomian
      > plants exhibit some
      > degree of communication and John Carter (in the
      > early sections of
      > "Warlord") exchanges fairly complex information with
      > Woola.
      >
      > There are references to words and (very vaguely) to
      > languages that
      > some Barsoomians use but others don't recognise,
      > though.
      >

      > Jim

      Looking for a X-Mas gift? Everybody needs a Flickr Pro Account.

      http://www.flickr.com/gift/
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 11, 2008
        That's no excuse! I'm a first language speaker, and I
        slip up all the time.

        Work on your error rate. English was never meant to
        be spoken properly.