Re: [barsoom] Re: barsoomian pronounciation guide

    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 8, 2008
      In a message dated 8/1/08 15:23:03, hamchuck.1234@... writes:

      > (As someone who has dabbled in linguistics, I have always wondered how this
      > might be possible, if, pardon me, it is possible at all, and if so what it
      > implies about the structure of Barsoomian as a language. How could a language
      > be created that is not evolving and changing?

      Languages change at different rates. I've read Alfonso el Sabio in
      XI-century Spanish which is perfectly legible -- you just have to remember that "x" is
      "j" and ignore the double letters) whereas English from the XV Century is
      still more like German than modern English. Barsoomian obviously changes even
      more slowly than Spanish. If Pan Dan Chee can communicate with Llana without
      any difficulty, that means the surviving Orovars in Horz speak a variety of
      Barsoomian which is still intelligible.

      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 11, 2008
        That's no excuse! I'm a first language speaker, and I
        slip up all the time.

        Work on your error rate. English was never meant to
        be spoken properly.