Re: [barsoom] Barsoom - The video game

  • Phil Normand
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2007
      Fredrik,

      I agree with you that Burroughs had the ability to sketch a world and
      fill it in with his storytelling. But it's difficult for me to
      separate the two. Story and setting work together.

      I guess it depends on whether what sticks in your mind is the
      meeting, loss and rescue of Dejah Thoris; life among the green men;
      the civilization of the red men; the friendship between Carthoris and
      Kar Komak; stalking banths; squealing thoats; sudden sunrise over an
      ancient city, etc. To me all those things are part and parcel of the
      same thing -- setting AND story working hand in hand.

      I can't agree that Burroughs was not a great world builder. If you
      mean did he nail down every plank and create a rationale that worked
      logically for every thing that exists on Barsoom -- no, he didn't do
      that. Thank ghod, it would be so boring. He wasn't that kind of
      writer, he wasn't a realist. He was a Romantic. He worked in broad
      strokes and dabs that, when you took it all in, looked like detail.
      Some things he described pretty clearly -- the one-man Zodangan flyer
      in PRINCESS is quite complete -- but such things as banths are
      described by their high-points and little else. As you say, they
      "blurred to something that appeared fantastic and alive." And that's
      what moves the tale along. He doesn't need to dwell on the details to
      get you caught up in the story. It becomes a story that you have to
      continually participate in, imagining as you go along. The reader
      becomes creator. Burroughs builds a world you want to get into -- at
      least some of us do.

      But you bring up another important point. Along with that reader/
      creator imagining, each of us fills in the blurriness with our own
      details. Even if you've been seeded by the images of St. John, J.C.
      Burroughs, Frazetta or Krenkel, you still imagine things a little
      differently. Vaguely, perhaps, but slightly more along the lines of
      your own experience, or your own vision. Bill Hillman has just put up
      some wonderful drawings by Tom Yeates that are dynamic, masterful,
      exciting, but blatantly inaccurate in some details in spite of
      specific references in the writings. He continually puts the green
      men's eyes on the front three-quarters of the head instead of on the
      side. He gives them claw-like fingernails. And the swords are not
      "needle-like" at all. As an illustrator I admire his composition, his
      handling of the brush and ink, the beautiful anatomy -- but as a fan,
      I grind my teeth at those inaccuracies that I know could be avoided.
      Though there may be aesthetic reasons for those decisions, they still
      rankle me.

      I'm not sure that a movie or video game would necessarily have to
      tweak Barsoom into something you wouldn't recognize, but, in the last
      analysis, the only definitive version of Barsoom for each reader is
      the version inside his own head.

      Phil